Just rescaped my 4ft tank

fishbites

It came round time to clean out the canister filter so thought I'd do the whole tank over....

I haven't a live snail in the tank due to the clowns and cuckoos but what a surprise opening the canister! Snails everywhere!

And after taking out the first tray of filter media an even bigger surprise - the water in the filter was murky... lifted out the second tray and flipping round on top of it was a 1.5cm Acei fry!!!!! It must have been living down there for at least 2 months! S/he is now hiding amongst the rocks in the main tank - much better living quarters!!!

So anyway - here is the finished (will it ever be finished) tank....

Full width shot... Ps demasoni, Ps sp Acei, Clown Loaches, Albino Sailfin Gibbys (hiding), Cuckoo Catfish (hiding)....

IMGP2781.JPG

Substrate is calcium carbonate, background rocks are porous lava rocks, foreground rocks are something I picked up at a landscaping yard. Plants are various anubias I tied to rocks and a few small windelov java ferns in the foreground.

IMGP2783.JPG

The demasoni have bred and increased numbers... feisty little things... they love hanging round in the holes in the rocks and don't mind pushing the larger Acei's out with a nip on the tail....

IMGP2800.JPG

You might wonder why all the fish seem to be lined up facing right... I haven't trained them to do this! It's because of the water flow from the powerheads - the fish face into the current to maintain position - good swimming exercise for them!

IMGP2794.JPG

Acei are really one of the nicest and most peaceful of the mbuna species - and they tolerate the antics of the demasoni with the patience of a saint! Love the blue/yellow colours too...

Well there it is ... still could do with a bit more work on the scaping but finding plants the cichlids won't eat or destroy is difficult... Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks Lisa,

Have to find some plants to replace the two plastic plants - but no idea what yet - want something that will actually grow and not be torn apart by the cichlids (any ideas anyone?)

Thinking about another rock on top of the middle stack to cause a bit more swirl in the water current from the rear powerhead... not sure on that yet though...

You're right - a good dark background would be great but not sure I can get to the back of the tank that easily any more - and for those hang on / plastic / rubber backgrounds - never seen one that I really liked. Will see what I can do this weekend....

Thanks Cassi,

Re downscaling - why? Just get a tall 2ft tank and use the 3ft to breed your bristlenoses and get them to help pay for the new tank! :) That's what I've been doing - I've got about 20 calico's and 20 longfin albinos up to 1.5cm so far to help support my next tank... or fish....

The tank above is hardly any work at all really - I've been lazy with just using a few rocks and the plants in there are tied to rocks so easy to move and vacuum.

If you got a 2ft tall what ideas do you have for it? fish... plants... etc?

Ditto on wow and jealous. Thats it, the blue acaras are out and replacing them with yours. Well the big male did take a nip when i wasnt looking when i cleaned the glass tonight so he's not in my good books anyway. Love the layout.

Thanks Mitch,

LOL @ the Acara - biting the hand that feeds it hey?! Not a smart move!

American cichlids are great parents and usually get a bit of a personality to them but the africans have it for colour... don't think I'll ever not have African cichlids now... just got myself 2 pairs of shell dwellers - now they are crazy fish - dragging shells around and burying them and uncovering again.... put your hand in the tank though and all you see is a tail sticking out of a snail shell!