Hi :)

jimmyb84

Hi guys

Thought I'd introduce myself and say hello

I'm hooked on axolotls, and I'm starting to get into aquascaping. It creates a new level of difficulty when you need to plan ahead with plant types and tank design when there are a few bulldozing tenants in the tank, and I've currently got a 1.5 year old axolotl in a crappy Aquastart 320 tank that I got given while the plants take root. I had another one which was slightly younger, but he decided that he was going to eat a couple of rocks. There was never a problem before; I hand feed them (literally, they sit in my hand when they eat); but due to the warm weather, one (not the one that died) rejected the food he ate, which ended up sitting on top of the substrate. Leftovers are a killer....

Anyway, after giving away my old tank, I've got a 610x460x360 tank, and seeing as I am currently putting together the parts I'm working piece by piece what is needed. I've already started picking up plants (only parrot feather so far) that I'm cloning outside in small containers (so far so good, I've doubled my plants in 2 weeks) and I'm ordering my lighting (3 a 3x t5 ho 24w from guppys) on thursday and getting a couple of in-tank filters to run (one sponge one bio) and getting some dino pee and dino spit to boot. As I'm planning on growing above the substrate at a second level (rocks and some kind of other substrate) I'm sticking to silicone sand for the base substrate. I'm getting some kind of mesh for the plant roots to grow over/through as well. Anything to help the plants vs. the axolotls.

I think I've got a pretty good basic idea of what is needed, I think I'm going for java moss / hc / riccia up front in nooks, crannies and spaces, and then parrot feather and I'm-not-sure-what-else up the back - ferny plants and a few heavy broad-leafed plants in the corners. Hoping for quite a bit of depth - I've already got quite a good collection of rocks to work with.

Anyway, I hope to be talking with you guys soon and sharing some updates of what I've done.

Cheers,

Jimmy