Red Long Pectoral Finned VT

splendidbetta

This is the red VT with the long pectoral fins that I am experimenting with, to learn about the genetics of long pectorals, as well as to try to develop the trait into HM and HMPK.

P2063324.jpg

P2063355.jpg

P2063304.jpg

P2063345.jpg

P2063309.jpg

He is currently in the spawn tank with this green Symmetrical Halfmoon Plakat female bred by Aquastar71: http://superbbettas.com/Breeding%20Stock%2...01/P2063330.jpg

My hope is that the short anal fin and strong caudal fin traits that this female carries will compensate for the fact that her mate is a VT. I also suspect that developing HMs with long pectorals will be much easier using HMPK, since they are more robust, and the effect of the environment on their fin shape is much less. It will also be interesting to see if the HMPKs are able to express the long pectoral trait to any degree. I think long pectorals with a wider spread would look much better at about half the length of the VT's.

Cheers :(

So just trying to predict what you'll get....

All offspring should be long fin seeing as PK is recessive (unless dad carries PK gene)

Unlikely to have any HMs in first gen as HM is usually multifactorial... but mum has impressive ray branching, so maybe some superdelta in 1st gen?

If you get ANY long pectorals in 1st gen it would suggest either trait is dominant or partial dom?

If long pectorals recessive, then prob won't see trait again until 2nd/3rd generation?

Colour - multi's?

Good Luck...would love to see HMs with big broad long pectorals...we'd have to name the phenotype after you if successful!!

Yes, that's right :)

If the pectoral length trait is partially/intermediately dominant, the length may be different between heterozygotes and homozygotes.

The pectoral length trait might even be multifactorial, so it's possible that it will take more than 2 generations to see a noticeable increase in length.

As far as naming them after me, that would be awesome :( However I think the Thai's have already done this, because I have seen HMs with abnormally large pectorals, but I do not know how they made them.