Phils Shed of DEATH!

Phil

Hey Guys, to my shock and horror yesterday i came home to find that the plug for the heater in my barracks had come loose, no idea how and i had water that felt like it was about to freeze. On one of the coldest nights/days in winter this happened. I lost about 40 adult fish and about 50 2cm fry. It may be a good idea if others put 2 heaters in their system, just incase one fails or dosent work, then they will be protected. Would hate to hear of this happening to someone else in the future and not said something now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phil, Sorry about your loss. How horrible :lol: I met a cichlid fellow last year, who has tanks outside in his garage and he has an interesting set up... He has 2 heaters in each of his tanks. The first is set at 26 or 27C and the 2nd is set at 24C. So, theorectically, the 2nd heater should only come on when the water drops to 24C. So if it gets too cold and the 1st heater is struggling or it malfunctions (or in your case, is unplugged) you have a safe back up, that shouldn't use any power unless it needs too. I think it would be a great idea to put 2 heaters in the barracks :cheer:

I think there are thermometers around that have temperature alarms. It may pay to do a little digging and see if they are still available. If the temp drops to low or raises to high an alarm will go off. This will at least let people within ear shot know something isn’t right and the problem can be addressed.

That's a good idea, but I think Phils barracks are outside in the shed. I had a thermometer that alarmed when the temp went over 30C for my marine tank, as around $20 I think. I think for an outdside set up a second heater set at a lower temp is the best idea. I would have 2 heaters set up especially knowing how cold it gets here in Adelaide in winter. :scared:

In an outdoor shed situation I'd be inclined to go for a second heater too. If it was set for a lower temperature extra running costs wouldn't be too much of an issue since it will only cut in if something goes wrong with the primary heater thats set for the higher temp.

:P :P:P:(;);) It has happenend again, the rest of my fish were in one tub with 2 heaters, one is old and didnt come on and i have just noticed that the plug on the powerboard that the other heater was in is faulty! the only socket that dosnet work! i have no bettas now. I just cant believe this is happening, mabey i am just bad luck :blush: It has pissed me how it worked, i added a new heater to the barracks with no fish, and come home to find the tub with 2 heaters, all the remainder of my fish dead in it, even the plakat pair i just bought from edie. I am soooo glad that someone hasnt sent my pair from Vicki etc yet.

Archived