Red Wriggling Larvae - 'red Mozzie Larvae'?

splendidbetta

Warmer weather has come to melbourne, and one of the buckets of water I have outside for collecting mozzie larvae etc now is full of red wrigglers - small, thin/long versions of mozzie larvae. Are these BLOODWORMS, and are they safe to feed to my fish?

The water is "clean" apart from organic waste, so it shouldn't harbour any nasties.

Any help?

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/MFB/EnvironHealth/Images/vi20.JPG

thanks :(( They actually look quite apetizing in real life :)

Are they bloodworms? what u get in ur buckets with Mozzie Wrigglers are the pupae of Midgies (sp? luckily I didn't write midgets, that might've been a bit ... awkward :) ) I feed them to my fish all the time when I have them in my buckets. and I don't think they're harmful, as once they "grow up" they turn into midgies and fly away, or sit on the tank lid until u open it (midgies dn't bite ppl either)

Well I got my bloodworms by leaving a bucket of water that was once dechlorinated tap water, aged and then cultured daphnia in, fed spirulina powder, had some rotting organic mater inside too. left bucket outside over winter, daphnia died, went outside the other day to find it teaming with bloodworms. :) For mozzies you could leave a bucket of old tank water out, with a heap of organic matter, i.e some manure, leaves, straw, and add some vegmight... leave in a spot that is cool and shady but gets some light. The container needs to be pretty big or it will all go off really quickly. and add some pond snails! They will help things along :)

I have a small supposedly ornimental pond that has a heap of fallen leaves/assorted organic matter thats fallen in over time that I simply top up when it gets low or it hasn't rained in a while (holds about 4 buckets of water and no fish :)). Apart from the occasional top up (usually water from wc's) I do nothing to it other than pull out the bigger sticks etc that fall in. All sorts of bugslies and wigglies grow and flourish in it :)

The insects that produce fish food larvae (mosquitoes & midges) only go to water to lay eggs so it's unlikely they'd transport fish diseases or parasites between water sources. I put potato skins in a 4l ice cream container of water in half shade - I get about 1/2 doz mosquito rafts daily at this time of year (up to 30 in summer), midge larvae all year, intermittent daphnia blooms, and the fragrance of :). All for free! I considered using bbs for fry once but :cheer: .

Most Australian suburbs should be good for stinky water & bugs during summer (Melbourne winter is prolly a tad cold). You should give a go (maybe not too close to the house though). The most you'll lose is some food scraps, a used ice cream container and a few litres of water (preferably left overs from a water change - the more fish poo the better).

I've done a lot of searching and haven't been able to come up with anything that says live bloodworms can be dangerous to fish. One page suggested that possibly they could be hazardous to frogs. Does anyone have any links - I'd be interested to read up on it a bit more?

Archived