Breeding Rack Help

fire83

Hi All,

Growing up was a keen freshwater aquarium hobbyist and breeder. Recently my son has shown an interest in the hobby and looking to get back into it. I'm looking at building a 3-tier breeding rack setup primarily for betta, angelfish and cherry shrimp for now. We have been gradually accumulating various 2ft/3ft tanks, pumps, heaters etc. for our setup but the one thing holding us up is the breeding tank rack.

I am tossing up between building my own timber rack or purchasing off-the-shelf heavy duty storage type metal shelving to use for the rack.

Details of the rack below:

a) 3-tier

b) 1.2m-1.5m(w) x 0.4m-0.5m(d) x 1.8m-2.2m(h) rack size

c) Capable of holding the weight of full 2ft/3ft tanks across this span. I am guessing min. 400kg+ per tier or more?

I would much prefer purchasing an off-the-shelf heavy duty metal rack, but would this be suitable? Would they be able to withstand the 400+kg per tier? Is there any that you could recommend?

If I was to build my own timber rack, can anyone direct me to any designs that would be suitable? Something that includes details of the timber size/type, screw/bolt types etc.

My budget is approx. $300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

The off-the-shelf racks should say on the label what weight they’re designed to hold. I would keep well under that. The benefit is that you can get going with breeding a lot sooner. Building your own will take time. But will also mean that you get exactly the dimensions you want.