Sydney grooming competition

Yanagi

I came close with my yellow marble spawn. I can't have had more than 6 females from that spawn. There was a huge gender imbalance which leads me to wonder whether it was environmental factors in play.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, we have no idea how these fry were treated. I would guesstimate they were at least a month old before being brought into the shop and they sat in an unheated, HOB-filtered tank for a week or three before I started taking them and splitting them. All I can say for sure is they were never fed properly until I got my hands on them.

I'm more keen to believe the transsexual fish/genetic factor in all female spawns rather than environmental but I don't think there's a way to test that unless someone manages a second spawn from parents of a previous all female spawn.

Can Andrew and Paige jump in and let us know what they think their fry are?

This is going to make for some very interesting judging...

Turning back to these fish... I hope they aren't an all female spawn! We'll never find out what the tail type is if they are all girls!!! I was so looking forward to a surprise there!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Zui, and sorry I didn't see that until now. Oops. :blush:

UPDATE FOR ALL GROOMING COMP COMPETITORS

We will be judging our fry at the next Sydney Betta Gathering which is from 2pm-5pm on 14 July at Holsworthy.

There will be a table show held but ours will be held separately aka not judged along side the other fish unless you choose to enter the table show with them as well. However due to the fact we all have females (though no updates from PaigeH, so I guess it's a possibility that there are some boys) I think we will just have a peoples choice winner and one runner up.

I'm taking advantage of an EOFY sale going on right now to get what I hope will be a great prize package for the winners. I'll make little laminated award cards as well. :)

If you are unable to attend the meeting on that day but want to show your fry you will have to arrange with me to drop off your competitors and pick them up again ASAP and understand that I will not be held responsible for anything that happens with your fish (though I will do my best to care for them; they will be heated, carded, water changed and fed live food only as required) and note that if your fish are still hanging around my place 7 days after the show, I'll be taking it to work and selling it.

If you don't want to keep your fry, I will take them off your hands to go into our girls tank at work. You won't be compensated.

If you aren't carding your fry, now is the time to start. Work on getting them show fit.

You don't have to bring them all, just the best.

I would like for them to be judged on their size, colour, willingness to 'perform' aka flare up a storm, correctness of fins (no nips, healed tears, etc), above their form as it is a grooming competition not a conformation show. So bring your biggest, brightest and feistiest.

Bring your own beanie boxes if you have them and extra of your own water to fill your beanie box so your fish won't have to adjust to different water.

Uh, I think that about covers everything... Hope everyone brings at least one fry. :)

Edited by Yan