Aquascaping as art

melbournebetta

Unlike the bromeliad that people walk past and buy because it's artificially hatched greenhouse flower is blooming, and never will again in Melbourne's climate.... you know you can buy that, feel good and forget about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69609132@N07/6977319297/

On my balcony in Melb...but not store bought

Roy - that's beautiful!

I can't tell you how many people I watched at the garden show going crazy over the Bromelaid stalls when they were big a few years ago, while I was watching the panic like a bit of a voyeur, I spoke to the stall holder when the frenzy subsided and asked where their nursery was.

She mentioned that they had large greenhouses in Brisbane, and while they loved their plants, they were asked to alter the flowering cycle so that it matched the strangely timed garden show... (angry about this) she was a bit sad, because most people won't be able to encourage these particular plants to flower again, but was hoping that after the plants died, people would be hooked and come back for more.

I put the $30 back in my pocket and thanked her for her time.

Having said that - at Camberwell market there's a guy striking/propagating and growing Broms that he sells at the market, all done locally, and while it's not about inter-state-bias it's just that it's bloody cold here, and if the plants ain't used to it. they cark it.

S'why most Bunninigs/Ikea plants melt after a little while in our climate, they are sad they've been ripped out of their hydro greenhouses

/rant

Re Brom's..I had it in full sun for about 6 months...was not a happy camper.

Moved it behind the Kaffir Lime tree and Timor Black Bamboo.

Yippee 2 weeks ago a bloom, only give it water from the weekly tank changes.

I bought an Autopot tray & filter and using that to grow hydroponic herbs using the physh water.

http://www.autopot.com.au/default.aspx?PageID=85e83501-236e-4286-98cd-dab61d17afa4

thank goodness for our tropical climate...lol