Is there a point where concern and helpful tips turn into antagonization?

Masquerade

It is sad when in that kind of situation and have your hands tied. I had something similar happen with a guy that bought some fish off me. Only difference being that this guy took my advise and there was a happy ending.

He went out and grabbed a couple of VTs to practice spawning with first. Good intentions, but bad planning. I got an email from him that more or less said - I've spawned my first pair. The babies hatched 4 days ago. What do I do? I did exactly what you did and sent the relevent info and an offer to either send or arrange pickup of microworms and enough BBS eggs to get a few hatches from. He dropped by the very next morning so he could feed them before going to work.

I've had a "customer" ignore my instructions on how to look after her new betta in the past, then wonder why her fish died after a couple of months. She decided that her friends advice to put the fish in a small, unheated jar and to only change the water if it started to turn brown was less work and expense than what I recommended.

One thing I have learned - you can't argue with stupidity, you'll always lose.

I've found Americans to be very rabid on the whole nothing under 5 gallons/20L per betta issue. I had to laugh when on another forum I'm on, an Australian member posted up their unfinished barracks and were promptly ripped to shreds. However, there are longtime members on that forum that continually mistreat their own bettas, or provide very wrong information in regards to stocking and basic care.

I personally prefer anything from 15-20L for a long-term home. However, I have a betta male living in a 4L breeder's net inside a female's tank and he is always flaring, bubblenesting and just generally looking good. That is enough space for him to get around comfortably, and he has the benefit of being in a cycled tank.

Some people are just obnoxious d bags who shouldn't be left in charge of a pet rock let alone a living animal. It's why I could never work in this industry. I do not have the patience to deal with idiocy. I will never understand people who can just nonchalantly shrug off the fact their fish is obviously suffering. The 'it's just a fish' mentality makes me want to scream.

Personally I would distance myself from this person, Beth. It's just going to bring you down. That is the kind of 'pleasant' individual who will refuse to think there could be any other way but their own. Undoubtedly if you buy the fish they will just be replaced and the whole dreary cycle will continue.

Go Ashlea girl you say ya thing, VENT I feel the same way with some tards I talk to about animals entrusted in to our care

@ Beth

I was thinking of what you told me when I left beth and as has been previously stated those fish wont be in a good way if they last long at al i do think though that a kind invertation to jion the forum is a great way to try and educatewhen ever I have enquires I say i dont have anything yet but there is a great forum you should look in to, but we can only lead them to the water its there dicieion to drink

Cheers

les

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not those that are actually experts are generally those who don't need to make sure all and sundry knOw about it...

In general - an expert will provide specific answers to questions asked giving as much useful information and knowledge as they feel necessary based on the way the person ask's - I deal with breaking in / educating of young horses and it's the same - I only give my opinion when it's asked never just randomly - i know what i am doing and thats all that really is important to me and give a reply on the specific question asked - I can tell a complete novice vs an amature pretty well all the time just in the way questions etc are asked and will reply accordingly .

Guarantee this person was a 15yo who may like these fish and has spent to much time reading other people's advice on forums and the Internet in general :)

Sadly the Internet cannot make one an expert only real life experience, trial and error can do that :D x