Greetings from Townsville ^^

lyrrin

Greetings all!

I am 26 years old, living in Townsville, North Queensland. I used to breed bettas as a hobby, but due to work and study, I didn't have the time to devote to them as I would have liked. (My Mum took care of them for me when I was unable ^^;). After talking to another friend who "rescues" bettas (she takes unwanted/sick bettas in and fixes them all up), I realised how much I miss having them around.

I'm looking to get back into the hobby with a couple of males and maybe a female or two, if I can find some pretty ones ^^ And once I get the feel for them again, perhaps try my hand at breeding again =D

My favourite tail types are the half moon and crown tail, though I've only kept veintails before.

So yeah. That's me ^^

Bus,

You make AA sound like a 12 step program..... do you think we'd need more steps than that to the recovery of Betta-mania?

hmmm

Lyrrin,

Welcome to the forum / 12 step program / confessional / bragging opportunity / learning curve / discussion.

You're lucky you have lots of talented breeders in QLD, including someone Lea's amazing shop where she imports top notch HM and CT Betta.

Keep eyes on the Classifieds pages too, most breeders ship also.

(: Do you have any pics of your old breeding setup?

-Ness

Welcome to the forum Lyrrin! Always good to have another potential QLD betta breeder on here :)

@Ness, more like a 12 step program to introduce new members to full blown betta mania...

Step 1. Buy male betta

Step 2. Decide he looks lonely, buy another

Step 3. Decide such beautiful genes are a shame to waste, buy female

Step 4. The other male is looking sad because the first male has a female, but another

Step 5. Buy more tanks for breeding setup

Step 6. See some pretty fish online. Buy more.

Step 7. Buy more tanks for new purchases

Step 8. Your fish won't breed, buy another pair

Step 9. To avoid disappointment, you set up multiple spawning tanks. At least one pair is sure to breed....right?

Step 10. All your Bettas decide to breed simultaneously

Step 11. Panicking about how you are going to house 3 - 4 spawns of fry, you build a barracks system

Step 12. Congrats! You spend all your time on aus aqua worrying about why one of your bettas will only turn to the left, when all your other fish turn to the right. You now have tanks and bettas in every room of the house. The spare room is no longer for guests (unless they can tolerate the constant trickling of the barracks you installed along 2 walls.) You now have full blown Betta Mania!

That 12 step program sounds awesome ^^;

I'm not sure if I have any pics of my old fishes... I will have to look through my old hard drives to see though.

I've been eyeing off some of those beauties of someone's! Biggest problem is that I can't decide - I want them all! Sadly, I don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on them right now, so if I do buy from her, it'll only be 1 pair (or 2 seperate males) at most for now =3

@ Shadoh - ROLF

@ Lyrrin - glad you added "for now".... our first tank was a 38lt. That houses our new Betta boy (yes will take photos!!). My problem is I keep getting BIGGER tanks!! Got a 50lt cos the 38 looked lonely and with a Betta in residence I couldn't have all the other pretty lil fishus, 50 got over-stocked so I go a 3fter, then re-did the 50 as a planted and re-stocked, NOW i need to rescape the 3fter cos it looks crap AND I have room for more fishus in there sooo....husband says if i want more I'd better go stand under a red light....he got thumped for that, thoughtless sod hadn't considered how the cold would play up with my arthritis <_<