What on earth?

Abby

So the other morning i woke up, checked the kids left the room and came back two minutes later and found Caela on the floor after getting her into qt i checked the tank, turns out i didnt slide the lid ALL the way back after slipping a 1ml syringe into the top of the tank to distribute the brine shrimp the night before.

so she was Completly stressed at being by her self having never been alone so i acclimatised her back into the girl tank the next day after making sure she was ok, she was eating normally so i gathered she would be ok.

i did note she had the look of fin damage so mad note to watch her.

so she went from this on april 10th 2011:

Caela2.jpg

Caela3.jpg

To this. it looks like shes becoming a butterfly? confusing the hell outta me

caela5.jpg

caela3.jpg

caela2.jpg

soooooo any thoughts? i is confuzzled

NOTE: the stress stripes are from being moved from her tank into the photograph tank

Marble and butterfly genetics are essentially the same. Marbled betta can change colour and the effect can be gobsmacking! Was Caela from kermadum's spawn - there's marble hiding in that bunch, which I'm sure you know... so this is probably what you're looking at.

Gotta say though, it's a pretty unique "butterfly" type pattern. I like it!

I think you may be right Neffy. The before shots, you can clearly see the defined rays on the edges of the fins, where the after ones do look a little melty. It is an entirely different issue to the BF stripe though which, by the way, is beautiful :)

Abby,

Although it'd be great if this were a fantastic BF pattern, I'd be a bit concerned that the loss of definition on the rays (a-la Shadoh's comment) and the fact it's burnt looking - could indicate it's melt.

Infact it's very melty looking to me.

...believe me, I've been through melt-hell, and it's something you want to act FAST on, my melt kids showed stress-stripes from the pressure the infection was placing on their immune systems.

I'd investigate antibiotics (avl at the LFS) Tetracycline or Tri-Sulpha and a LOT of salt.

Might be worth quarantining her if she isn't already... and keep an eye on the others she was with.

Yep. Something's dissolving her fins, could be some other sort of infection - in which case antibiotics won't do much.

Compare it to a few of the melts and fin issues in the clinic threads.

dry.gif don't look good to me

-Ness

Edited by melbournebetta

so Ness did you see any discouleration of the fins during melt that may indicate that it is more a sign of infection than anything else like could the condition of change indicate an underlying infection?

shes showing no signs of sickness before the jump out of the tank, at first i thought there was something wrong but shes been fine she stressed horribly while she was in qt over night, no other fish are displaying anything at all.the white does show through her other fins, these are REALLY bad pictures, (My *camera man* was off picking up a parcel got home and told me i should have waited for him to take the pics)

@ BUSMAN: no shes never striped usually ill let her settle in the photo tank for a few minutes but she was pretty stressed out so i just wanted it done to put her back.

@ paul lol yes little rayne wass white now shes gold with black shadows and metallic tail LOL

@ neffty. these are bad picks i will try to get more and being public holidays im up ****creek without a paddle till next week for medicating anything.

@ Jarrod i see what you mean and looking at the picks the white stripe is across the ray edges. again these are really bad pictures.

@ Les LOL

@ Melbournbetta again the stress stripes are NOT NORMAL they are from being moved from one tank into a smaller one and then MOVED outside into the sun

again being the start of the public holidays i cant do much regarding medication i just looked at her and the whites clear so not thinking butterfly any more.

Abby,

If you have any of the following, it'll help; Aquarium Salt, IAL, even bettafix - see if you can coax her to eat frozen or live foods (got any mozzie wrigglers around the house?)

I'm just thinking to boost and maintain immune system in the meantime.

If you are able, call around to the aquariums - generally the bigger ones stay open as it's prime time to move stock! (Our big Aquarium closes X mas day and NY Day, and that's it!)

Good luck

-Ness

Hey melbourne betta shes a damn pig. tonight i fed a little daphina and tried them on these Mysis shrimp (bf was feeding them to his coral and told me to try them) i fed blood worms yesterday and tomorrows prob guna be brine shrimp. Caela (said fish) ate it all and kept watching me back and forth looking for more the lil pig. the strips not changed size and its seethrough/white depending on light and angle..........hard to see atm cause she moves so much lol

shes active piggy and doesnt seem bothered at all. i have primafix and melafix along with espon salts. these are the only things i carry really.... BFs orders lol

Good, she's eating well by the sounds of things.

My boys never lost their appetite, just became more and more lethargic as the infection worsened and they became more uncomfortable - stress stripes some days, sometimes not.

My Velvet victim (10 weeks old) was just put down, she wasn't eating and had her fins clamped up... 4th day not eating, best to put her out of her misery.

@Les - it's weird, my extended red and salamander boys have never shown discolouration before with their melt, however I've seen it on some other cases of melt (see the threads on melt in the clinic section)

So it's either down to different types of melt, or how the fishs pigment and fins react, there seems to be several different ways a fish demonstrates melt too...

Mine clump several rays and seem to mesh together whilst being eaten away (argh it's horrible)

Others I've seen just gradually clamp fins down until they can't pull them away from the body and one case I've seen just leaves the fins seemingly normal but slowly eats away at the length.

There is every possibility it's velvet or something else.

I hope the early observation has saved you any issue Abby, you spotted it quick - whatever it is.

Have a peek through the velvet / ich threads and check against any symptoms that might arise (gold dust / slimey fungus etc)

-Ness

Shes shown NO sick signs at all, im quite "paranoid" according the my bf when it comes to the fish always seeing problems and issues lol

Today she has ONE white scale roughly middle of her body bottom halfish i cant see anything around it it just looks like a discoloured scale. i need to wait another 15 minutes to get a better look the torch seems to psyc the fish up so i need to wait itll the lights turn on theres no dust or other discolouration at all.

my bfs a little unhappy with me and my fish hes never had so much fish sickness and hes sick of hearing about it O.O :( :(

caela2.jpg

The red trim around the edges is almost GONE as well.