Gender guess

Neffy

13 members have voted

1. 1. Gender

• Male
    • Female

Good to know they're on their way.

I have some VE cultures if you'd like one, I'll be going to the Vic Aqua Auction on the 30th to buy plants for my aquascape/kids if you're coming to that?

MW I think you already have... hmmmmm... and mozzies, but you don't need those yet!

Sorry, I'm getting all excited for your spawns!

-Ness

Neffy, we need you on board the Vic Breeding Scheme!! And you have such lovely kids - it'd be a shame for me not to have one.... heheh

I'll remember to bring you a bottle of VE - they probably need a fresh apple and some cider vinegar - but they're teaming!

I'm a bit naughty and feed VE to start with, then MW, and sometimes VE just cos I get bored feeding them all the same thing.

My Grindals are anrgy with me because i keep feeding them to the fish.... errr... but anyway, maybe someone will have a big culture and we can go into a bidding war!

See you there!

-Ness

Neffy,

I have a little armadillo boy that i LOVE, and would like to photograph properly before I spawn him, but he just wont FLARE! So I know the feeling... damn these lovers & not haters.

I'll agree with Jarrod, and only that he's said something first will I say anything at all............. :P

The colour on the second boy is lovely, but his body shape is a bit wrong (in the first photo, the second one just above this comment isn't too bad) but I don't like the dip behind his dorsal & topline is a bit wonky.

Rot or not, I'd skip him.... only because you have an alternative!

Body wise the boy with the cello-tail is my pick - he seems the more even of the two, rays and form balance.

(Kermadum) you know all this is said with love - so please don't be offended... but I'm thinking about the fry Jess is about to produce, and what * i * want to buy from her :P

What are you anticipating you'll get out of this lot?

My understanding of pink fish is that its basically a lesser degree of red (with either a layer over the top masking the red, or a lesser quantity of the pigment) along with her think white dragon scales.

Crossed with a red x copper (with marble gene if he's demonstrating that partial butterfly pattern in the caudal)

I would guess (and, really, it's a super duper guess)

You'll end up with darkish bodies, with dragon/metallic scaling and red wash/finnage with irids through the rays... kind of like a redder version of that Kermadum spawn these boys came from....

That is a great idea to pair her with salamander man, i hadnt considered it but i think that would be interesting tho id get mostly coppers in the fry and then would have to cross back to mum to get dragon fry. Id hope the purple/blue iridecence would stick as i had a lavender dragon and he was AMAZING.

I want pink fishus, so I'm gunna pull you up on this; why is it you think you'll get coppers crossing this pink lady to the salamander?

I have no idea what you'd get, but I was going to assume it'd be more salamanders, with thicker irids and some dragoning.... with darker than her fins...... is that... anywhere near right?

meep... thinking out aloud (1am)

-Ness

A dragon is basically 4x metallic (from what I'm remembering) so crossing to a non dragon (the salamander guy) will make coppers because dad is contributing no metallic to the genetics, even tho the boys I have where from a full dragon father and a copper mum they still arnt dragon scaled they are silver metallic instead of white they didn't get enough metallic genes from both combined. so paired to the dragon girl I think there might be enough metallic that the fry will have a good chance that some will be dragons, with red fins I think there may be solid reds, lighter reds, marble and butterfly fry and then some we wouldn't ever expect to see.

Not sure really what would come out if a cross to salamander guy haha Cambodians, coppers, solid reds with salamander irids, salamanders like dad who knows definitely no dragons from what ive read Would be fun to see tho!

HI Neffy

Do you remember where that artical on drogons was? so I can have a look just trying to compile info on them thats all and would you know if two platnum dragons could still produce silver or copper just think I got excited then

Cheers

Les

The info is on the forum under genetics then a pinned thread "dragons" ur question might be answered there too bettaobsessed lot of talk on metalics there that i haven't digested yet I can't be sure that will happen with ur fish not knowing their genetics or if there is just more to making a dragon. Mine already have the dragon heritage so it'd be easier then just having metallic I hope! And I don't expect all the fry from my high metallic boy x dragon girl to be dragons.

Edited by Neffy

No, unfortunately no dragons from that kind of pairing. The fry can only obtain half the genetic material from each parent... Making one whole fish. You can't "add" genetic info. It gets divvied up then spread around. So for ++ metallics, you get only one + from each parent making a max of ++ in each offspring.