Frozen Daphnia

BettaObsessed

was it in the blocks like brine shrimp and blood worms? I have seen it that way at city farmers if so I just defrost and split into serves thoughout the day or shave it with a knife will frozen it makes more mess that way though

Fry are 4 weeks old. It was the frozen blocks like the blood worms etc and I did defrost it first in water. It wasn't the serving size that was the problem but the individual pieces, they were bigger than the adult brine shrip I had last week. I'll just keep them for conditioning the females maybe. Also got some frozen rotifers which I will try tonight.

Edited by BettaObsessed

I find you always have to defrost it in some water first!

It is not the best as a first fry food... I prefer BBS or rotifers, then switching to daphnia around 4-7 days in then to BS around 14 days, then crushed up dry food about another week after that.

I hope this helps. ;)

I always defrost the frozen food in water before I give it to the fry. They had BBS as their first food along with egg powder, now at 4 weeks old I wanted to give them something different.

They had rotifers tonight and that seemed to be better than the daphnia so I will save that for the females.

I'm with les, I just wait a little while and feed it off the plate.... I've taught older fish to eat daphnia, just to mix it up a little, by hovering a chopstick over the water with some daphnia bulging off the end - they love it.

Can be a little messy in the water - I always under-feed it so it's not lying on the floor of the tank.

it's a good first frozen food as it's smaller for little mouths to try than chopped/grated bloodworm

Anyway - good luck

-Ness