My PH in Spawn tanks

Rhysmachine101

Hey everyone!

First off I want to apologise for posting something that has probably been posted a million times before- I have been searching for a while now and I cant find exactly the info I need; hoping you can help!

My PH in all my tanks and is the same as my tap water- I don't have a high range test kit so I am guess-timating here a little but it's around 8.0.

Fairly alkaline, I know

Now, in my few hours searching this forum and the net, mostly I can find references to "if it aint broke- don't fix it"

All my bettas seem quite happy and healthy- have had no problems with any other of my fish- but I was wondering if this will translate across to my spawning tanks?

Will new fry be able to tolerate this rather high PH?

Or do I need to somehow lower it safely: does anyone have any suggestions if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

Rhys

I'd also look at putting in some shell grit, this helps to stabilize the pH to around 7.5 (this is what I understand to be the case)

You could also look at adding some aged driftwood if you have any? definitely IAL

Don't worry too much about the argument that pH affects gender ratios, at this stage there is no real correlation or substantial anecdotal evidence as yet.

Perhaps you can contribute to the "discussion" after your spawn, it's going to be a long while until we start seeing real trends.

Good luck with the spawn.

Also, have you checked the Carbonate hardness? if the hardness isn't right the pH will swing quite a lot.

-Ness

Ok- I will have a look around the LFSs to see if they have any shell grit- so Matt and Ness; you think that the high pH WILL be a problem?

My hardness in dKH is 4. 4 drops until yellow.

I think- quite honestly still a little under-educated when it come to this. You measure from the very first drop you add, right? What's a good level of hardness in dKH?

Edit: Disregard hardness question- educated myself :D .

Edited by Rhys

Good onya Rhys id like to see your gender ratio at the end. if you have access to a still you can mix distilled with tap to bring it down its a bit expensive to by distilled or like Matt said age it with peat and it gives it a nice tanin look. what are you putting together to spawn?

Cheers

Les

My PH is 8.6 and I have one lot of 11.5 week olds and another of 3 week olds. My 11.5 week olds are only the size of 6-7 week old but that is due to me not doing enough water changes not the ph. I've tried putting them next to each other and some flare and some show vertical bars so I am taking that to mean I have both males and females. If my guesses are right I have pretty much half male half female. Either that or I have males showing vertical stripes or females flaring :D

Awesome news, BettaObsessed! Thank you so much!

This puts me back on track a bit.

Might as well still add the shell grit anyway, will help with the hardness... IAL was going in anyway, so... great!

Thanks BettaObssesed, really appreciated!

At least now I know they will at least hatch.

Rhys.

Oh! I didn't know!

I went down to Coburg last week, to look for HM females, but they were all still in quarantine- and they all looked to be hormone fed (at least this is what the guy who let me behind the scenes led me to believe) and I could kinda see what he meant; they were all really lurid colours, it was odd, I haven't seen fish those shades before.

I might head down Saturday then, and have another go- see if there are some pretty girls I can use that I overlooked last time.

I was kinda resigned/getting enthused about breeding my own from what I had- might be nicer just to see if I can start straight away.

Thanks 'Razzi and Ness, I appreciate it.

Rhys.

You're welcome! If you have the room, you could set up another tank to get the ph down and use that to fill up your tanks. I have a 40L tank (sitting on the floor) that has a large piece of driftwood in it. I fill it up and it usually sits for at least 24 hours and then I use it for my water changes. I am finding its not big enough to do all of the water changes but I make sure I use it for my bettas first and then the other fish get tap water :D I have found the driftwood lowers the ph down to round 7.4. I had 2 IAL in there as well but then it dropped down to 6.6 which I thought was a bit low. I have been doing this for probably about a month so the first spawn were in the high ph for the first 6 weeks-2 months. I found my bettas were getting fin rot and the ph appeared to be the cause so that's why I set the other tank up for "spare" water. I had a gold fish in there for a while so the water was getting cycled as well but then decided that wasn't really working because the water that I was taking out was already part the way through a cycle and that didn't make sense.

I also found last week (decided to do an experiment) that the water from my hot tap has a lot lower ph than the water from my cold tap. Am yet to ponder this to figure out why. My "spare" water tank has no heater so I put 2/3 this water and 1/3 hot water from the tap which is about the same temp as my fry tanks and the ph is still nowhere near as high.

That's what I mean, copper is extremely conductive; thermally and electrically. Your water heater heats up your water, then you turn a tap on and water flows into the copper pipes- the water is hot and as it travels along the copper pipe it loses some of its heat energy to the pipe. If it was PVC, which is thermally insulative, shouldn't the heat losses be less?