Complete newbies

Spanger

Hi All,

Couple of complete newbies here. Well, I'm one half but my Husband and I are just about to get our first fish. We've decided on a Betta - gone out and done some research, even got a book. Now we've got all the stuff we think we need - just need a fish. We'll wait til the Easter long weekend as were going away for a few days and dont have a suitable fish sitter. Plus we want him to settle which wont happen if we get him and a few days later we leave him with the "grand parents".

Anyhow. Were after two things here. I) Someone to buy an actual fish off - I am against buying animals from pet shops - no reason that can't extend to fish, secondly - advice when we need it.

Cheers,

Spanger & Mr. Spanger.

Hey there and welcome to the forum!! You'll find plenty of people around here to help and buy fish from (me included :lol: )

There's LOADS of information in the various forum threads that will be really helpful, and if you can't find something, ask.

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of people on here with all kinds of information, so don't be afraid to ask. I see kermadum has already introduced himself. He is our resident betta wrangler and the closest thing we have to a betta farm in Australia *lol* He has some beautiful fish - do a search and check them out! :)

Hahaha. Hardly. I think you're catching up pretty quickly, especially with yours and Busman's powers combined!!! I might have to come knocking on your door for some fish soon, some of those ones in your next shipment are looking pretty amazing!!!

And some of those folk down south have got more than a couple of spawns going on.

Welcome. Lots of friendly people to answer any questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask or contribute to the forum. All welcome.

Kermadum is the only betta breeding farm we have in Australia. I think we all have a few of his fish. Lol

Hi Spanger & Spanger,

What luck you have that you're both into the fish together, watch out, I recently got back into the betta world and now have 4+ breeding pairs, 9 juvies, 80+ month old fry and a whole nest of tails....

They're more-ish, and if you start with good quality fish, you'll love them all the more (and might even want to try your hand at breeding!)

A great place to start is someone Lea's Youtube Channel - go search for Fishchick65, and sort from Date Added (for most recent fish)

Don't be put off by pricing, these are outstanding quality imported fish from Thailand.... she ships them from QLD and I've had great experience with their health upon arrival.

However you're in luck- there are plenty of breeders in NSW (and very active on this forum) so keen an eye on the Classifides.

I'd suggest looking briefly at Stephan's site - I love showing newbies here, because while they're 3d models and don't look like REAL fish - they are as close as we have to examples of the "ideal" fish

While you're just starting out - you might not end up with a wizz-bang show fish (I still don't have one) you'll know what to be looking for, and what's worth aiming for!

http://superbbettas.com/Bettas4AllShowStandard/Bettas4allShowStandard&3DBettaModels.html

Another fun place to traul around and get an idea of what you might like is Aquabid, google it... you'll never be the same again. (very pricey process, but nice to window shop!)

All the best with your purchase, I love that you aren't rushing it

-Ness

Thanks everyone. I don't know if we'll ever pursue the "ideal" fish or show quality fishies, were more moggie and mutt people- or what ever the fish equivalent is. One thing is for sure - I am totally against pet shops. I would never buy a living breathing organism off one. I don't know if aquariums are the same but traditional pet shops are ...urgh. I have a few years vet nursing up my sleeve and all I can say is that I loathe them. Would rather pay double or triple or more and get a healthy fish off someone who cares for their livestock/pets.

Looking forward to getting to know you & telling you all about the new addition to the family.