banana tea

les

I second Shadoh. Amazing difference there Les. Have you added your brew to the planted tank? I would be interested to know, as our very spoiled VT Red lives in a planted 38lt with 2 cories (Thai and Chilli). Being here in Tassie I would of course also have to check on availabiliy (bloody quarantine!!) NannaJo B)

Hi Nana Jo

Yes I did put it into a tank with Crips, Java fern,Java moss and ther was no ill affects on the plants infact it gave the tank a more natural effect with the tanin look Ill send you some leaves if you like just let me know where to send them to. Banana leaf is not a problem in Tas as you dont have a banana growing industry down there, they do get a bit edge in banana growing areas though with the introduction of specific desisess to MUSA becouse it is a monoculture.

Hi Jarrod thanks for your help at the begining of the experiment I have now gone on to include Pandanas in my latest tea I have keepted notes and will put them up when I am compleated I dont know that I can see any real differance from the banana EX but I do know that the cemical composition of the tanins is diferent and as this plant naturaly accurress in ther habitate it must atribute something to the chemical make up of the water body they inhabit.

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Which type of meleluca? quinquinovea? lanceolata? lataretia? Incana? I could go on. Sorry Matt I was just being a smart A#S there are quite a few different types of meleluca but there arnt any to my knoledge normaly seen in the Betta distrabution area, Melalucas belong to the australasion flora, and the funa and flora distrabution do tend to follow simmiler paterns this can be seen by the mapping of land masses during the Pleistocene period, this mapping shows that australasia and asia where still seperated back then Asia had the Sunda shelf and australasia had the sahal shelf and so the flora and funa developed differently.

I was trying to use plants indemic to there natural distabution area but thanks for the sujestion

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Not sure what species, the one that grows in swamps is the one I use. I didn't realise you were using plants endemic to betta habitats. I might do a bit of an experiment then :) I will use midnights girl, she is a bit beaten up.

Be carfull Matt

I would sugest you find out what kind of fish are found in the habitate that the specific meleluca comes from and if they have the same water requirments some meleluca swamps are only sessenale especialy hear in WA although we do have some fish that inhabit them. I remember as a young lad netting them for our garden ponds I think it was a type of rainbow cant catch any now though becouse all of that area has been filled and houseing esstates are .

Dont waste a fish you may want later and if she is not in good health it maysufer from the beat up and your resulys might not be a true indication get a scrubber VT female so cheap and dispensible (oh that didnt sound nice did it).

You may want to consider how the vegatable matter gets to enter the water is it by leaf and bark droping if so use them as a dry product to make the tea this should have different properties to a tea made from fresh ingrediants.

Good luck Matt and I am realy looking forward to hearing how it gose and dont forget to keep a log.

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Thanks for that Les, have just remembered seeing the leaves used here in restaurant situations so might have a chat with a couple of the chefs I used to work with :cheer::dance::cheer::dance: may be able to get some leaves without having to hassle you. Am going to have a chat one of the local LFS to if maybe they can't bring in some IAL, you never know I may be able to persuade them of the benefits and get them to start using it as well :blink: :blink: (did I really say that...must need more coffee :lol: ) NannaJo B)

The place I got the idea from is called lake Ainsworth, Probabaly shouldn't have called it a swamp, it has a swamp area, not sure how permanenet it is but the lake is a permanenet tea colour. Visability from the tannins is around 30cm. I have some pictures if you like.

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg I have used the leaves before and the oil can be used to make a diy Melafix, I have never taken note of the efects though. Hmm... I will try get a VT girk next time I go to someone's. I need to go to the reserve and get some fallen leaves. Ours were either moved or I mulched over the top of them. I only found a few yesterday. Is it possible to get an id from those piccies?

Hi Matt

Well done, I cant tell the the type from the pictures but you can find out by taking a small portion with bark and leaf to a local nursery and they should be able to ID from ther if they have a resident Horticulturalist. May I ask the following questions

1. was the lake man made? (you can find that out from the local shire)

2. what is the other leaf litter that I saw in the first picture? (you need to know all the matter that makes up the tanin this can be done by taking note of all vegitation around the lake)

3. where ther any signs of fish or other aquatic life? (if the lake was man made they may have been introduced) On identification of aquatic life the water requirements can be found on the internet native fish sites and these can be compared to Betta native habitate

And now you are on your way . I must say Matt I am really impressd that you have imbarked on this experiment so soon and with enthusiasim I kinow you will find this informative and rewarding and it will increas your abillity to analise things I look forward to hearing how this pans out and what your findings are.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les, I didn't think you would be able to.

No, it sa natural dunal lake, It isn't anywhere near me, it sin NSW and around 3 hours away.

99% of the leaf litter is melalueca, anything else is most lickly banksia leaves from the dunes that got blown in. After you get around 20-50 meters from the waters edge it is very dry as it is on sand.

I caught fire tail gudgeons, empire gudgeons, an unidentified gudgion (around 20cm) and some sort of other fish. The info board also said silver perch were in the lake and somebody else has caught Melanotaenia duboulayi there used to be gambasia but they seemed to have died off after an exeptionally cold winter. Here is another thread http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/20081-Lake-Ainsworth-Melanotaenia-duboulayi it has some pictures and other stuff to. I didn't catch any shrimp though :(

I found a site with the name of the melelauca, I will try find it so I can confirm the ones that I will be using are the smae. The growth patterns and leaf structure look the smae though. I will document my findings and research the conditions needed of the above fish :)

Found it, the species is meleluca quinquinovea, I had to read throught this big management report of the lake. There is an aread at the skinny end where it is really bogs and has few trees mainly reeds, ferns ect but I doubt they would colour the water like tea. Melanotaenia duboulayi live in ph's of 5.4~7.8. will continue to search

In this report on page 53 there is a paragraph about species of plants that surround the lake, plants mentioned in the paragraphs above are talking about the foresty bushland that grows around the lake but not on the lake edge. I can't seem to copy the paragraph, not to sure why. http://www.ballina.nsw.gov.au/content/uploads/ManagementPlan-LakeAinsworth.pdf

Tandanas catfish are also found in there as are bass, I caught one hehe. There are saw shelled turtles and eastern long neck turtles. I have to go to bed soon so I wll research more after work :)

Edited by Matt_95

Fantastic reserch Matt half your work has been done with the information contained in the NSW uni Report, Now dont forget to index all of your refrences so you can refer back to the when writing your finds at the end of the EX this will give credence to your work and credite to those that have gatherd the info you have used.

I am realy proud of your work Matt keep it up ok

Cheers

Les

I haven't really done anything on thsi for a few days as I picked up my IAL and I have been busy resacping and planting glosso hich is very tedious, you have to cut it up into individual nodes and plant them one at a time, it takes forevr when you have a 4 footer to do, I haven't even half finished yet :(

Rome was not built in a day so things do take time and other thing need to be done in the mean time I suppose the tank is for the comp am I right/ so if it is take your time and do it right and you will stand a good chance at wining and then you can get on with your experiment

Cheers

Les

• 2 months later...

Hey Les, just got my hands on a huge shopping bag full of banana leaves... What quantities did you use to make up your tea?

For the time being, I have floated a couple of pieces in one of my tanks to see if it makes any difference...

OK, the experiment begins. I have made some banana leaf tea up and have added it to my aged water (5mls per lt) and used it in the fry tanks immediately after water change (50% daily).

Fry in barracks have nothing but aged water in their containers.

Let's see if there are any immediate changes over the next few days with the fry growing out in the banana leaf extract...

So what are you expecting/hoping the changes will be??? What's the reasoning behind this experiment? What are the benefits above IAL ? Are you doing it with all your fry tanks Shadoh?

Sorry, just curious. :-)

Been chatting with a couple of Thai breeders who recommend banana leaf over IAL.

I have it in the dragon tank and the yellow PK tank. It is supposed to enhance colour, have anti bacterial qualities, toughen scales, promote good growth in fry, promote spawning behavior and reduce stress in highly strung males.

Yeah, I know that IAL has similar properties, but I want to try it out for myself and see if there is a marked difference in growth, colour etc that explains why these breeders say it is better...

Hi Guys

Yes it dos help to inhans the couler but it also helps strenghten the scales another thing it helps with is holding the bubble nest together and they seem to get randy on it LOL (Thats G rated isnt it)

The water hear in Perth is very hard tap and bore alike so it also helps lower the PH

I only use dry leaves in the tanks and make the tea from fresh green leaves three large leaves in two Ltrs of water

The Indo breeders also use teak tree leaves, I know there are native teak trees in QLD so you may be able to get hold of the leaves from Mt Cother botanical gardens the are no teak trees in any of our botanical gardens hear in WA so I havent been able to try it out yet but the Indo breeders us it to stimulate spawning and condition to fight Let me know how you go I think its made a differance

I am also using AIL and peat and Pandanas Palm leaf But Ill put the details on the water conditioning thread for you

Cheers

Les