Newbie Fish Lover

Fish Tails

Hi all,

I have had a fishtank 6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft for about 6 years populated with silver dollars, serpai tetra, congo tetra, boesni rainbow fish, glass fish, one ghost knife fish and a swarm of bristlenose that have bred from 3 originally introduced to tank.

Recently I went to the LFS and noticed how pretty the tetra and guppies were so I went and purchased a 3 foot tank and bought some tetras and guppies, the guppies all males fascinated me with their lively antics and beautiful colours so off I popped back to the LFS for some females.

Uh oh I now have at least a hundred babies! Bought another fishtank to house the fry and then started thinking hmm what if I buy a specific guppy (I like the halfmoon tail guppy) and breed them? Oh dear... I have bought another fish tank and now have 4 fish tanks in my dining room!

Thought the forum would be a good avenue to ask some questions on dos and don'ts on breeding and any other issues regarding fish keeping.

Welcome to the forum Fish Tails. Don't you just hate the way those tanks multiply!

I used to separate my guppy fry from the parents into a new tank. Then I was having to put them in 2 tanks because the bigger babies were eating the smaller babies. I ended up with guppies and mollies at different ages spread between 3 tanks. Now I just leave them in with the parents in my community tank and let natural selection decide which ones make it to adult size.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Uh oh I got another tank today (damn you ebay!) hubby says I might be a tad obsessed :blink:

I feel very maternal and protective of my little babies, I talk to them and have a chair sitting in front of 3 of the tanks so I can sit and watch them all. I love watching them when I feed them bits of brine shrimp, one will get a bit way bigger than its belly and off it goes dashing around madly in excitement while others give chase trying to tug a bit off.

Can I ask a question about my fry on here or do I go to the guppy page and post it there?

I forgot to mention in the intro that I live just outside Brissie and intend to make a trip to someone and check out her fish, I am just hoping I don't fall in love with some of those gorgeous betta and need more tanks!

When I get a bit more net savvy I will try and upload some pics of my babies.

Ask away! If you think it's a big enough question - create a new topic. You should find what you need here.

Ps you might find you're not the first to ponder what it is you're pondering. It can be useful to do a little search for the keywords your thinking about. Hope you find what you need.

Hi

Paul, That is sound advice, when in doubt google! I did try that actually but I couldn't find what I was looking for online hence I thought I would put it out there for all you wise ones.

Hey Busman, I know I am itching to go and see someone but at the same time feeling a bit of trepidation. I know I will fall in love with too many and walk out with more than what I intended. I have looked at someone-Leas fish on youtube and I have the highest admiration for her, I have found only good things about how she runs her business, her service and of course her fish.

A couple of questions about guppies if you please.

1. I seriously do have nigh on a hundred fry, they are from 5 females and a few were pregnant when I bought them (no surprise there). A few of the fry have what I have called eel tails, they are pointy and do not flare out at all. They come straight to a point at an angle from the body, I hope that makes sense. Tell me have I got a new strain of guppy? I did google and found a few sites showing the shapes of guppy tails and these were not on there. Will they grow out to a normal tail?

2. The errr tank I am getting is a 4 footer and my son (he keeps fish as well) has some limestone chips to cover the bottom I am concerned this might make the ph too high for the guppies over a period of time. I don't have town water, good ole rainwater off the roof here which does have a tannin element to it (we are surrounded by tall gum trees).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks Nana Jo,

I will definitely NOT be putting it in my tank! I have been reading of your adventures in the guppy forum, you sound like you have a fun time with the guppies and their individual personalities. I forgot to mention that I have guppies, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, cherry shrimp and some bristlenose all living together pretty well. I have seen the neon and glowlight tetra spawn but I can't stop them eating the eggs straight after!

I think I have alot to learn and look forward to any help from you all. Take care and enjoy your weekend, I'm scrubbing out my new (pre-tested, ok ok secondhand tank I got off ebay) and getting it ready for some new tenants.