What the...?

melbournebetta

To be honest, I'm speechless.... I'm revolted and endeared at the same time. Part of me wants to kill it, and.. well the other part of me did actually kill the other one I found earlier.

Until I thought..... maybe they're my friends, look at that colour, their matt pinkish arrangement, it's mostly beautiful, a little Earnst Haeckel, but beautiful.

....but then I got all maternal and protective

WHAT MADE THIS IN MY FRY TANK

is it apple snail babies? this is the only acceptable answer.

199212_1932384427911_1191277596_2386793_

I've completely migrated from FREAKED OUT to completely endeared.

These are my new favourite iddybiddylittlebabythings in my tank(s)

Turns out one of the snails I plonked in my individual betta tanks (unheated, 10 litres) has made babies in there too...

I'm a bit worried I'll be over-run with apple snails in a few weeks - how many will I end up with?

(perhaps they will be a fun thing to contribute to the next Vic Betta Meet raffle or the ASV free table)

I read that you can relocate them, perhaps I should put these eggs from the non-heated tanks back into the spawning/growout tank

LES: they're around 4-5 cms long, and all piled up, they are a real pastel pink colour and matt in colour.

and very very HARD, and strange dry.gif but mostly cute.

Do I need to feed them anything (oh god, I have 80+ fry I don't need more mouths to feed................ or do i!?)

Don't worry about them eating.... they'll clean the glass for you and eat up anything that the fry don't eat..... you can end up with a lot or a few... depending on whether the Bettas pick a few off while they are young.....

Most LFS's sell them for between $1 to $3 each depending on size and they will always take donated snails from you (one shop I know takes mine and splits the sale 50:50 with me for whatever they get for them)....

Ill happily take an apple snail off your hands, I had a lovely one he was my best friend id always try to find him in the tank. Then he had an alteration with the grilled filter intake tube T_T i think ill keep them in sponge filter only tanks now.