Betta Barracks

les

Hi I would like to introduce my self My Name is Les and I am from Perth

I would like to build a Betta Barracks and tried my hand at cutting glass but was so hoples but band aid sales went up dose any one know if i can use perspex and what thickness should it be Bunnings has it but it seems very thin I liked the look of a couple of systems i have seen on the site but cant seem to send questions to those perticular people so can some one help please

Cheers

Les

Get a glazier to cut the pieces for you and smooth off the sharp edges. Much less hassle. And you won't have to pay for any screw ups. I haven't worked with Perspex so can't help there. Now that you've posted an introduction your access will be upgraded shortly and you will then be able to send private messages.

welcome Les.....

re cutting glass.... see your local friendly glazier and buy a quality cutter from them.... I have a Toyo glass cutter but a locally recommended brand is KStar.... Last cutter I bought was from the Lincoln Group (they sell to the public) - the Toyo cost me around $28 - $30 and its worth every cent - the blunt sub-par cutters that a certain large retail chain sells are not worth wasting your money on (tried all of them then the Toyo is like carving glass!) To take the edges off the glass just get a block of wood and wrap a bit of 100 grit cloth backed sandpaper around it.

For small Betta containers you could get away with 3mm or 4mm glass if you keep them under 30cm tall..... the Lincoln Group also sells Dow Corning 480 acetic cure silicone - best quality trade silicone used by tank builders - has a 20 year guarantee! From memory its only about $8 a tube....

With perspex the trick is getting it cut perfectly straight otherwise the bonding adhesive won't fill the gaps.... it can scratch easily too....

Hope that helps a bit