I feel sooooo bad

Fletch

Just culled my first spawn. Can't believe how hard it was. Have bred fish before but never got attached to them before. Just feel horrible. It had to be done as too many fish, there was no way I could have looked after them all.

Couldn't feed them to a friends Oscar either. It was the most humane way to go, I think.

RIP 64 Red Rocket CT

Sorry, just had to tell someone. :-(.

I am faced with the same decision next time around. I should have done it this spawn too, but wimped out. I guess it is easier to remain unattached to spawned fish if the parents do all the hard work of rearing them to adulthood. With bettas, they are so reliant on us to raise them, It is hard not to form a bond.

You've done what you had to do. I know it doesn't make it feel any better, but the ones you kept will benefit from your decision and get the care and attention you wouldn't have been able to give them otherwise.

:rip: little guys

Edited by shadoh

I'm sorry about this Busman.

I'm completely agree with Shadoh. You did this for the benefit of the other fry, these ones will really have the best care possible now, you wouldn't have been able to do that with the others.

I know it is hard, but really that just shows how much of a kind person you are, caring for these little bubs. :alright:

When I had my spawn of Cambodian CT's - 203 all up - just couldn't bring myself to cull and know the extra work it was to keep them all.... threw 3 pairs in the fish pond last year and didn't fish them out in Winter and felt a bit bad about that when they didn't surface and chase each other round eventually.... still have 3 left .... just had to keep them and watch them grow old...

Busman - it was a tough thing to do but as everyone else has said - a lot more have got a long life ahead of them because of you.... my other spawns have been much smaller so haven't had to face this task again thankfully... you've done the right thing.....