Another dead juvie

shadoh

Just got home to find Heckle (the only delta tail of this spawn) dead in my barracks. He went the same way as Migaloo, wedged himself between the plastic card that is blocking them from seeing through the glass partition. I really didn't want to silicon the plastic onto the glass, so I guess I am just going to remove the plastic and they can just get used to having a neighbour. I really feel bad that this has happened and makes me feel like a :censor: fish keeper. The 2 fish I wanted to save to continue this line are now dead by my hands. They are either getting sick or having stupid accidents that I could have prevented...

P4160374.jpg

Great, now to top off the day, as I am getting ready for bed, the canister filter starts making a loud grinding noise and is spewing waste back into the juvie tank. I've now got to do a total water change and throw in a sponge filter until I can work out what is going on... AHHH!

It happens :( can be upsetting but all part of the ups and downs of raising fry :) :)

Im cleaning my breeding tank out this arvo to get it all set up again :) it's half full of sludge and goo at the moment but can wait to find a new breeding pair asap :D

Thanks guys. Sorry about the whining - I was just so frustrated with it all last night. These things always seem to happen when I am out. At the end of the day, I can't watch fry 24/7 (though it is tempting at times.) And it is only a couple of deaths out of 100 or more. I must be doing something right.......(right?) lol

I have a blue dalmation female that I was going to spawn Heckle with. I can always pair her with one of my white boys (or a white/blue BF like Jeckle), surely she will pass on some of those genes to her offspring and I'll get another Heckle :)

No luck on the filter. I was out today, so didn't have time to pull it apart and work out what is wrong. In the meantime, I've put a sponge filter in and I'll just bump up my waterchanges from every 2 days to every day until I get the fluval fixed. Then again, this might be the motivation I needed to build my 60 bay barracks system :D

Sorry, don't understand. You are doing water changes every two days with a good filter running? Why? What don't I know? My fry tank gets about a third changed twice a week and that only has sponge filter. Do bottles every two days but not tanks with filters.

Want to see plans for barrack system. In process of turning cupboard with fry tank on it to a barracks. Not sure how many will fit but hoping for about 18.

I probably should have called it a syphon, not a change (I like to keep the tank floor spotless.) By the time I've vacuumed the waste off the tank floor, about 20 litres gets replaced. And yes, then there are the jars. Perhaps I am just too OCD *lol*

No plans drawn up for the system yet - all in my head at this stage. Will post something in next couple of days :)