DT CT?

Fletch

Does this exist? Does anyone have one? I do believe that my Red Rocket CT have produced some dt fry!!

Would be a weird looking fish. Mine very are the slow growers and most are female i think. One male one so will keep on eye in thus one.

Thought so Busman. If you can get nice equal lobes in the DT fry, you might even consider pursuing this in your line.

Speaking of lines, did you find a red butterfly crowntail yet? I looked on aquabid for you and couldn't find any. There was an occasional red bf hm, but no ct!

Well that didn't take long! I thought I'd have photos up of Red Rocket CTs up before you posted about DTs :D

The male (from 1st spawn) will be the one to watch right now, his lobes seem to be even. You have quite a few in the latest lot that have even caudal lobes too.

wow that is an amazing fish. Thanks Jarrod. How are your new additions going. Feel very sad to see them go but happy that they have gone to a good home......

Will watch the dt now with interest, thought these fish were deformed. Lol.

New additions are settling into their new surrounds. They just had their first photo shoot. I didn't want to disappoint you :D Thanks for parting with your babies and good luck with the doubletails! Can't wait to see how they grow up.

@Paul no didn't find what I was looking for but after thinking about it, I am not going to cross breed these ones myself. Might try a line of dt if it works out I have some good ones. The genes of these fish seem really strong. My growth rates and color seems really fast compared to most I have been following. Can't take the credit as I do nothing special, so I put it down to the quality of the fish I got from someone.

One goal I do have is to try and preserve this line v

@Busman: Paul, if your fish keep growing for me at the rate they're growing for you, I'll have a spawn log started in a matter of weeks *lol*

@Paul: That is bit of a mouthful, don't know what to call 'em... <_< I wonder if the red loss that 80% of my fry have would have any affect on colour outcomes in F1?

Might be stating the obvious, but it would be worth doing a ray count of the dorsals of the fish you are intending to breed. Those carrying the DT gene should have about 11-12 rays depending on how you count them and the non-DT's about 9rays. If you don't have the broad dorsal in the parents then you won't get DTs out of the spawn. This will be true for both the red rocket and jewel box crosses.

Edited by paul

Just went back over my past photos and I'd say 99% of the Jewel Box spawn that I've photographed have a minimum of 12 rays, so carry their fathers DT gene, so a Jewel Box x Red Rocket spawn should produce some DTs (approx 25% if I remember my punnet squares correctly with 50% carrying DT) A Red Rocket x Red Rocket Spawn (from the fish I have) would produce single tailed fry, 25% carrying the DT gene

Crossing DT to DT will give 100% DT. So your aim of producing a line of DT CTs should be easy for you to obtain.

If you don't have DTs but would like to figure out which fish carry the DT gene then look at their dorsal fin. The ones carrying DT gene will have an increased ray count in their dorsals.

From here, you can breed the ones with broad dorsals and should be able to get about 25% of these fry being DTs ( this is what you're breeding right now!).

If one of the parents have a normal (9ray) dorsal, then none of the fry will be DT, but some (50%) will carry the DT gene. (I think Shadoh miscalculated on his very last prediction on red rocket fry).

Edited by paul