dRAGjUNKIE's Betta Barracks

dRAGjUNKIE

Hi all, thought i'd start a build thread for my betta barracks. I'm going to modify the 600x300x300 tank that i picked up on ebay last week, the tank was a shocker too left outside, full of dirt leaves and spiderwebs. I'll make 3 barracks at the front of the tank with a volume of 10.5L each, the back partition will house the filter and heater. There'll be a hose to each barrack from the filter and the rear panel will be 20mm off the ground. The gravel will come to the bottom of that glass panel so the water can get back to the filter. The 2 smaller barrack dividers were done by my local glass mob for 10.60, the larger panel with holes will be ready tomorrow. Had to get it done in Toowoomba because local crew's drill has busted. So far the projects cost $122.95, $15 for the tank, $10.60 for smaller panels, $49.95 for an eheim 2008 filter, $47.40 for the eheim jager heater which is on its way.

BARRACKS.jpg

Hey dRAGJUNKIE,

This sounds exactly like a setup I had imagined for my display tank.... although as it's Christmas time, the guys at the Acrylic place are shut, so I had to skip the TT shape I wanted to slide in to the existing tank walls.

However, I've found this rather expensive plastic sheeting used to partition fish at the LFS, it was $20 a sheet and I had to cut it down.

I then have my Eheim external filter in the rear of the far left and right partitions.... In the middle is the heater.

The downfall will be if any of the fish become ill I will need to take them out (as the water is circulating)

Also, I have solid sheets of plastic I can clip to the dividers when the kids need to have quiet time.

I'm interested in seeing how your barracks come together - post pics when you can

:) Ness

164566_1782992933217_1191277596_2085709_

Hi all, thanks for the comments :D

The downfall will be if any of the fish become ill I will need to take them out (as the water is circulating)

Yeah that is lurking in the back of my mind too, just have to cross that bridge when i come to it.

Got the front dividers in over the week without any problems, the back divider will go in tomorrow. Have finally collected all the bits and peices that i'll need. I want to put some black stripping to cover where the glass joins, the closest thing bunnings had was this stuff DSCF0459.jpg I'll have to cut the narrower face off and paint it but it'll do the job. Will post more pictures soon.

DSCF0452.jpg

Edited by dRAGjUNKIE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. All the glass work is done, plastic strips are done and plumbing nearly done.

DSCF0471.jpg

Ran into a small hiccup, I didnt think about getting the filter in past the ledge for the lid. Decided to get the die grinder into it and cut the ledge back, cut about 15mm then the ledge split about 30mm from the end. I just ripped the last 30 out, filter fits now.

DSCF0468.jpg

Here's the plumbing. There was a divider in the outlet for the filter, but i ripped that out and siliconed the hose in, its not very pretty but it'll work. Put a couple valves in so i can have a bit of control over the flow. Want to give it a test run before i fit it all, just gotta wait for the silicone in the outlet to cure.

DSCF0466.jpg

Something to watch... everytime I have used a small overflow system I have always had at least one betta that likes to 'shoot the rapids' and even if there is just a millimetre of water flowing over the weirs into that back sump area it's enough for them to get over. You might be lucvkier than me and have more sedentary fish icon_rolleyes.gif. Another thing to think about is putting something in so you can slide an opaque divider in as well to card you boys. You don't want them flaring at each other all the time... they get over it and don't do it after a while.

Edited by TasV

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Looking good dRAGjUNKIE B) glad to see you didn't get washed away :bighug: Jo

Pretty lucky where i am Jo, lots of people out this way weren't so lucky.

Bit of an update: Had a few rums after work this arvo, decided to tweak the water flows and ended up ripping the hose outta the filter :embarrass: I know, shouldn't have been drink-plumbing :-p So it'll be Sunday before i can get all the water in now