How Did You Get Into Bettas?

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

It was 1996 for me(7). My brother had a pair. :eek: I wanted a fighting fish so i went to my LFS with my brother and got a blue and red plakat had him in a plastic tank around 25cm the ones that have the plastic lid with the carry handle. i went back a week later to pick up a female...owner of the LFS showed me this nice royal blue female. then one really hot day i decided i'm going to put them together and by my luck they bred???? i was so excited. no heater no filter the air con was on. Thats how it started for me. i havent stopped keeping bettas since. so much trial and error.

Simon

I can't remember my very first Betta well, I was very young, but he was a red veiltail who lived in my 3ft community tank. I bought him a girlfriend and had several lots of fry as a kid, but took them to the LFS all quite young, never waited to maturity, then gave up all my tanks when I moved to Sydney 12 years ago.

It all started again earlier this year when my partner bought me another red veiltail and a small tank to put him in (I had already reintegrated a 4ft discus tank & 3ft marine tank into my life so a fish gift was a great idea). Then I casually said let's get a female and we'll keep her in the discus tank and we'll see if we can get them to spawn just for fun. 6 months later we're BOTH heavily into it and somehow have over 20 adult bettas in various fin forms, three lots of spawn and are designing a barracks. I completely agree that it's like some kind of addiction. Fish crack!!!

Haha eww...

Mine is the usual story, my best friend had one and said they were great all they needed was a once a week 100% water change and could be kept in a 2L container! Thankfully I lived in central highlands qld so heat wasn't as huge a problem (I had him in winter). My little boy was a pretty veiltail, blue with pink through his ventrals and a little in his anal fin, it reminded me of those pictures you see of space with shooting stars and everything, so I called him Ziggy Stardust! He died maybe 6 months after I got him, I had gone to boarding school and lost my water conditioner in the process and when I did my first water change I woke up the next morning and found him with a cloud of mucous around his head. I loved him a lot and really wish I had researched his needs.

But my fish are so spoilt now!

This was really nice seeing everyone's beginnings :)

• 4 weeks later...

It is really lovely, these stories are so great....I say Aus Aqua should publish a book entitled: My first Betta stories.....lol that was kinda lame, but I would definatly read it. The stories all seem so sweet and innocent.

I will soon upload my story when I get my fishy X D

My story is pretty standard really, was walking past LFS, decided to go in (just for a look you understand) and walked out with the most gorgeous royal blue/purple VT. His name was Tangles (???) and he was with me for 2 1/2 years. That boy could bubble surf for Australia!! Jo

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first betta when I was 9, my very wealthy neighbours would buy there daughter a new pet everytime she got tired of the old one. I inherited this one, he was a green crown tail. I feel really bad now as I look back on it, no heater and no water changes.......... I think I kept 2 or 3 more bettas this way. All common lfs crowntails. My last cheapo one jumped out when I was 13 and I got cichlids after that. 2 years later I sold all my cichlids and a very wonderfull person drove me down to someone's, I was on a budget but took $150 "just in case." After I bought all my plants I only had enough money for a halfmoon that had been in store for a while. A week later my Nana said she would buy me a pair for my birthday so I got a black dragon pair. I'm hoping to breed them and keep a whole heap of females in my 60 gallon tank. Because of the beutiful bettas someone has I am going to get a custom tank made because I can only have 3 tanks. Why o why must they fight :'(