How Did You Get Into Bettas?

Sarah

I thought it would be interesting to hear how you all got into Bettas. Any really cool stories out there?

For me - The year was 2010 (:P) Dad was driving me home from karate, and I was like "now my poor fighting fish (never knew it was called a Betta) died, maybe I should get another one.. I already have the tank." Dad said.. "Maybe you could get a male & female and breed them". Yeah that sounds pretty cool.. so we got home, I went on Google to find how they bred. "MUM DAD, THEY DON'T GET PREGNANT THEY MAKE BUBBLENESTS!!!! So that was what Rory was doing - I thought he was playing with bubbles because he was bored! So you get the picture.. not very exciting I know, but yes, it was just a little comment from my dad which got me started.

What about you?

The first Betta I ever saw was the first one I owned. This was back in 1996. He was a turquoise VT (surprise, surprise) with red wash in his anal and ventrals. I named him Katashi after a sumo wrestler that happened to be on TV at the time I was trying to think of a name. He was the first of many bettas I owned over the years with Japanese names. He killed the first female I tried to spawn with him. I knew nothing about conditioning and introducing them first. He also killed the second female (Maki) I put with him, but not before they spawned. The pet store told me this was normal...GRR I only had 1 fish survive to adulthood. He was a beautiful steel blue boy with white banding on his fins.

The stoopid (yes I can get away with calling Ryan that) LFS employee showed me a pair of wild bettas that were in stock. He was like, "check these out, they're almost like apistos". They looked much cooler than the fancy shmancy bettas in store. So after a little research, I decided I had to have to buy a pair, which meant I walked out of the store with two pairs.

Have bred cichlids of random pairs since I was a kid. Now into Bristlenose, Peppermint Bristlenose and Royal Whiptail catfish. Always liked Betta but wasn't really keen on the "work" side of it. Mainly raising fry. A lot more information available now. Back then it was all trial and error.

Have now just had my first spawn and fry doing well!!! :-)

Best part is that my five yr old son is taking a real intrest in our pair. He loves watching the fry grow and change.

About 28 years ago I had a 4ft tank of tetras.... and then read about the breeding habits of Bettas and had to find out if it was all true... only had access to VT's back then.... I was able to get fry but didn't have access to foods enough to raise a large number - thankfully a lot of plants harboured some foods and got a few up to maturity....

then eventually got out of fish as I was traveling a lot with work....

a few years ago decided I wanted to have fish again and a Betta was the first fish I got - again a VT - and then I discovered this forum, HM's, and CT's and a whole new world to explore....

now I have too many tanks and fish!!!! (Can I blame it all on AusAqua?) :)

This is kind of hilarious, I was thinking about this exact topic as i was backing out of the driveway this morning! What a coincidence.

Well I had a VT when i was a kid, but as a child wasn't that big on it. For a year or so i wanted to set up a community tank but didn't really have the money. A friend of mine was getting rid of a 3 footer and i took it off their hands but hadn't had the time to set it up when i got the urge to buy. Naturally i went back to what i knew and had heard of someone's shop from a friend so dropped by to discover that there was a whole new world of betta! Well needless to say, after walking into the best store in the city (many would say the country) i was hooked like you wouldn't believe. If i had more money, i wouldn't be able to move in my appartment!

Also, Briztoon, i know that exact feeling, it's hard to walk out empty handed...

Paul.

A friend of mine had three bettas and I decided to get one. So my first blue VT Sapphy came into my life and bettas stole my heart from that time on. I then got a second being a gorgeous CT Merlin who was the first boy I attempted breeding with and trust me he didnt let me down. My first ever spawn was nearly 300 fry! I've had lots of males come into my life since then but Merlin and Sapphy will always be special to me. I cried the day Sapphy died but he lived to nearly 3 years of age, and Merlin nearly made it to 2 and a half.

LOL yan ... pot plants are hard tho i have had a few die :(

I got into bettas because my goldfish's kept dying i was trying to keep them in a 5l tank from kmart and i would go to the fish store and say why are they dying this is what im doing and every response i got was yes thats ok keep trying and more fish would keep dying. I got a 20L tank and was able to keep one for a few months but it later died as well and i was like THATS IT ! i quit and then i got sad cause i had 2 empty tanks. My partners mum kept a betta in a small glass bowl happily so i decided they must not make as much ammonia as a goldfish so i got one a blue red delta tail named pepsi. He lived happily for a little while and then i got my first import and a girl from jodi and got my first spawn now its crazy all over the joint.

Edited by Neffy

*stands up* My name is Jarrod and I am a bettaholic.

It all started when I got my annual bonus. I was looking for a particular shade of red. I walked into Fishchicks and there it was!!! I couldn't stop at 1, I had to get breeding pairs in every tail shape she had. Before I knew it, I had to get a second job to afford a move into a bigger house to provide more space for my precious bettas... :P *lol*

someone definately has alot to answer for! Almost as bad as a drug dealer, sending families broke. <_<

I can just picture the maniacal laughter if someone tried to tell her that.

In all seriousness though, this is the hobby i have needed for a long time to occupy my time outside of work, if only it didn't have me seriously considering a new job to support my hobby :((