They tried to sell me a floater...

shadoh

I didn't end up going to someone-Leas as planned. I ran out of time and had to get groceries. While I was at the shopping centre, I thought I'd check out the pet shop. I don't usually buy from there, as their bettas are overpriced and I don't like the way they are kept (should sic SFCA onto them...) Today, 99% of the bettas looked healthy and were in decent size tanks instead of the usual plastic drinking cups. They had a couple of veil tails that were the exact colour red I am after, but my eye was drawn to a sad looking lemon yellow coloured VT sitting on the bottom of his tank. I figured he was probably stressed and would appreciate coming home with me to a nice big filtered, heated tank to himself (I am so impulsive.) I told the girl behind the counter that I wanted to buy him. She noticed that he was looking lethargic and started tapping on the tank to try and get him to "show" for me. I told her it wasn't necessary, as I had made up my mind. The betta darted around in a panic, then just sort of floated in the middle of the tank. I mentioned that he didn't look that good, but was told he was "fine" and "he had been doing that all day" With that, she dumped him into a bag. The poor Betta turned belly up and floated to the top. I pointed this out to the girl, who just shrugged and wandered over to the counter and rang up the sale on the register. I stood there in shock for a moment, then said in a voice loud enough for the rest of the shop to hear "Are you serious?? You are trying to sell me a dead fish??!" The girl tapped the bag a few times then said "He was fine when I put him in there..." She then offered to sell me the fish at half price as "he may come good." Dumbfounded, I gave her a few choice words (by this time drawing a crowd) and asked to speak to the manager, who was conveniently not there. I am going to phone their head office tomorrow to lay a complaint.

Go back with a big plastic bag and offer to dump her in it to see if she likes it!!

sounds like she personally needs the SFCA or whatever they're called to pay her a visit.... people like that give the whole hobby/industry a bad name unfortunately :(

I am seriously thinking about sending the kiddie terrorists after her. It won't achieve anything, but will be a big annoyance to the store.

I will, however, be contacting head office to make a formal complaint. There really should be some kind of experience/training requirement for staff working in these chain stores. I am kicking myself for considering buying from a place like that!

LOL! Maybe she believes in reincarnation. Death => rebirth... simple see!

Also, Which is worse... a dead fish at half price, or a half dead fish at full price???

And to finish it off with a little zen... what is the sound of one hand clapping (the back of a pet shop assistant's empty head)? :blink:

Maybe she was of the opinion that if a betta dies in a pet store and nobody is around to witness it, is it really dead?

I know it is a risk to buy a half dead fish, but is was so beautiful and I stupidly thought I could rescue it. Maybe I could have. Maybe she did me a favour.

I imagine the sound of one hand clapping the back of a vacuous pet shop assistant's head (and, yes, it did cross my mind - I should never be let out in the general populous) would sound something like an echoing clang of a cow bell...

@Sunnylass - Sure thing! I probably won't be going now until the weekend of the 27th/28th Nov (over committed myself this fortnight :lol:) Let me know if that suits. Anyone else want to come along?

Thanks guys. Just got off the phone to the companies head office who say they will look into the matter (I somehow doubt it.)

Edited by shadoh

I think it was fishbites that commented regarding something else "never underestimate the power of human stupidity" I second that ;)

A friend had a bank manager call her mobile, upon being informed by someone that answered that she couldn't speak to him on the phone due to a hearing impairment he said he would call back later :giggle: I don't think anything would surprise me much anymore :blink: this fish shop girl really has to be classic though!

Hey look at the bright side, these people keep us entertained :lol:

Edited by fishish

Can't believe it. That really is disgusting. I did see a assistant once try and convince a customer to try a few marine fish in there tropical tank to " see how it goes ". Couldn't help myself, had to intervene and point out the obvious regarding one fresh, one salt. The assistant then gave me a filthy look! Training is a must for anyone working in sales. Fish are no different.

I am seriously thinking about sending the kiddie terrorists after her. It won't achieve anything, but will be a big annoyance to the store.

HAHAHA when my girls were little I once told them to run their sticky fingers over the display case of a jewelry shop when the girl in I was returning my new watch to decided she could not see me ... it was amazing how fast the service picked up :giggle:

*lol* ROFLMAO!! I think I pee'd a little. *lol*

ewwwwwwyyyy :eadshake:

I can't see how any of these girls get jobs,

is Oh you to smart, next,

your thick as two short planks you'll do fine!!

if I go to the chain pet shop/supply places,

they all have floaters as a display item.

It must be this years must have.

:P No second rate shop is complet with out them LOL

The shop assistant in question has probably posted on the shop assistance forum how she had a customer who wanted to pay full price for a half dead fish...

So when it died it the bag she tried to take the Mickey by asking half price for the dead fish!!!

Always have to look at it from both points of view!

Edited by Rod