Red Bettas

shadoh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I have two theories. The first is that I think that dragon is the result of chromosomal duplication of the gene that codes for metallic modifier of the iridescent layer. Thereby you get two lots of metallic irid gene on one chromosome. A fish homozygous for the doubled irid chromosome will be dragon. A non-metallic x dragon cross should then give one chromosome with no metallic modifier and one with double, so should be copper fry. A metallic x copper cross should lead to one chromosome with double metallic modifier and one with one "shot" of the modifier. This is a "heavier metallic than usual copper". I'm not sure this theory is enough to explain the observed behaviour of dragon gene.

The other theory is that relating to the genes which code for the on/off switch of other genes. There may be another gene which codes for the turning off the expression of the metallic modifier. A mutation of the off button may result in the metallic modifier being produced more than usual. A fish homozygous for this gene will have both metallic modifiers switched on and overproducing the modifier thereby producing a dragon. This can explain "more than usual" metallic phenotypes in various crosses, and may also explain the fact that there is variable expression of the gene. What it won't explain us why dragons have masks. So still just theories.

If the first theory was correct then removing dragon from a line could be easy by selecting only non-metallic fry and achievable by F2. But I doubt it would be that simple.