Red Bettas

shadoh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooohh, this one is pretty. :) I hope I can be of some help Shadoh.. really I'm just picking out red Bettas and posting the links. Maybe I'm just looking for fun. :P

Now on, I'll just post the links on the SPOT ON Betta in the shade you want.

Ok.. already I just broke that rule of mine. :blush:THIS looks pretty close.

So sorry Shadoh.. I went through all the Bettas that came up in the search of "red", but none fit. :( Well, at least I got to look at some pretty Bettas! :giggle:

Yeah, I would prefer looking for some nearby too. All I did was went into the Beta section.. and went though each fin type one by one. I typed in the keyword "red" and whatever popped up were usually red fish (though some were not).

It would be interesting to see how long it would take to get the dragon irid out. Getting rid of the little spots of blue is the most common complaint from breeders of reds. If you're starting with a dragon it could be quite a challenge. But then I've seen dragon spawns where a lot of the fry didn't develop full dragon irid.

It looks like the red pair are still avaliable.. But I think they are indeed too light coloured, but then perhaps I could use them to work on my oranges as well. I think I'm trying to talk myself into it when I know I shouldn't be spending money on fish. *lol*

*lol* Yan. I am the complete opposite, I am trying to talk myself OUT of it!!!

Bettarazzi, I was talking to someone about it the other day and they said something similar, likening it to being easier than getting red wash out of a line of blues. I am then guessing that the dragon gene is only partly dominant, as I have seen offspring of dragon/non dragon crosses and the dragon scaling is less even and on a lot - non existent.

But it looks like the breeder only did a single pairing. Dragon scales may not be dominant but the results look like even heterozygous dragons show increased or different iridescence to the original non-dragon male. I would have done a few more generations. Nevertheless I think the F1 were quite attractive so still wouldn't be classed as a fail in my book.

I too am a little surprised the breeder labelled that as a fail. An F2 with the 2 heaviest dragon like iridescence or even a back cross to the mother would have come close to the results he was after. Even the tiny amount of knowledge I have on betta genetics, I realise that to develop a new trait in an existing line will take many generations to perfect. :D

Not trying to br a stick in the mud, but technically, his assumption was that you could get black dragon from a dragon x non-dragon pairing. With the outcome being that he got metallic blue irid over black, then his assumption was incorrect, thereby a fail. They are beautiful nonetheless.

Back to the issue of getting the dragon out of red dragon line, I don't know if anyone has actually tried. I would love to know if it would be easier than you would guess. See I have a little theory about what dragon is genetically speaking, which would make it a little easier to line breed the dragon out of a dragon line. The only bit that doesn't fit in my theory is why dragons have to have a mask... Hmmmmm.