Red Bettas

shadoh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extended red refers to the gene which spreads red all over the fish. All fully red bettas are therefore extended red. What you're referring to I think is the light bodied red that is a result of introducing cambodian into the line. Males often don't have a fully red head and females usually display the cambodian pattern. Sometimes the fry will all start off cambodian and then slowly develop red on their bodies as they get older. Breeders introduced cambodian into red lines in order to reduce black on the scales. However it should be possible to develop good extended red fish by using dark bodied (ie not cambodian) fish. We need more people working on red in Australia. seems to me that we are all attracted to the dark iridescent and metallics first, the butterflies and bicolours come next and the reds and yellows come a sorry last. If you're interested in working on reds this would be good thing.

Yes, I do mean the light bodied reds. I must admit that I am usually drawn to the metallics, butterflies and marbles. If there is a gap in people working on reds and yellows, perhaps it is something I should be looking into doing. With the threat of batch testing looming over our heads, it is things like this we should be organizing now.

Believe me, it wouldn't be a chore :D I've noticed a lack of dark bodied reds out there and toyed with the idea of getting a line happening. The fact that there aren't many people working on them here in Australia is the impetus I need to look seriously at following my idea through.

Off to auquabid to have a look around...

I intend to work on red and orange based fish. :) I don't have any extended reds yet but I do hope to get some in future. Preferably giants, though.

At the moment though the reddest thing I have is a pair of red dragon HMPK.

My LFS frequently gets the red colour I think you're talking about though, in veiltail males.

colourwise, this is what I am talking about...

The black which outlines each scale on the body is what breeders were trying to eliminate by introducing cambodian. It would certainly be interesting to see if it's possible to get the colour of the fins to appear on the body without the black edging on the scales.

you know, i saw a 'darker' red double tail (i thought it was halfmoon until closer inspection) at Jodie-Lea's. It wasn't completely as dark as the ones you're talking about but it could be a good starting point. I like the reds because when i was a kid my parents bought me a betta and it was almost exactly like in that link.

@volvodriver: You had to go and tell me that... :lol: Double tails are my other weakness. I'll have to wait until friday afternoon to go down and see if he is there.

@Bec: He is a lovely fish, but I am looking for something closer to the colour Sarah posted...

@Sarah: Thanks :D that's close to the colour!

Sarah, is that someone else's photo? Just a reminder to everyone to please be aware of our rules re copyright and bandwidth regarding photos and only post someone else's image with permission, and by hosting it on photo hosting account (ie, don't just put tags around it where it is originally posted, as it uses the bandwidth from the other person's site).

For now I have change the photo to a link only. Please repost as an IMG if you've got the copyright owner's permission to do so.

Thanks!

I got a beautiful pair of Red Rocket Crowntails from someone at Fishchicks. Both really good looking fish. Have bred once (first time for them and me) and lost most fry. Still got a few going though. Will try again very soon.

LOVE THE REDS :-).