Plants Dying in Auquarium

Kiinks

So I've had a number of different types of plants in my aquarium now. Basically the tank has no artificial lighting, it's right next to the window, and I usually have the window open, and it gets full light nearly all day and I turn the airstone off every now and then.

First plant I had died within 2 days, I'm not sure what it was called but it had large flat leaves with a purple tinge. I took it back to the store and they gave me a refund, and the aquatic guy said it's just a decorative plant and won't live long. Anyway, I had ambulia in the small 10L tank and it was going great for 2 months, as soon as I moved it to the new 100L it just started to wilt after about a week, then re-grew, and then completely died. The pennywort was going really well in both the small aquarium and then in the large one, but then suddenly the bristlenose catfish just started snacking on the bottom of it, and most of it wilted, and I only have a little bunch of it left right now.

Then I went out and bought hairgrass, and some other plant. The hairgrass has been in the tank for 3 weeks now and is starting to yellow. The other plant, had a really good strong root system (so I thought it would do well, or better at least), and really long thin flat leaves, I only have a little bit of that one left too because most of it wilted and had to be thrown out. I tried moving the remainder of it to the small tank away from the fish, but it just got even worse in there.

The tank is always heated, always next to the window, and I use a plant liquid food that someone suggested to me, and they have soft water, and a slightly alkaline ph . They just seem to go through these stages where they flourish, die off a little, then everything starts looking good, and then they just start to wilt again! And the stores are no good because everyone always tells you something else, or their suggestions include spending as much as possible at their store. If anyone has has a similar situation or has any advice that would be awesome =]

Firstly.... a lot of plants sold for aquariums are not aquatic plants - you need to read up on what is really aquatic and what isn't...

Secondly... some plants are not warm water plants and will whither and die in a heated aquarium .... others will flourish... again you need to read up on these as the LFS's will just be happy to keep selling replacements to you....

Some plants require very little light but some require quite high light / artificial light .... they look good in the LFS because they only last a few days in their tanks and then you take them home.... :)

This Plant Finder is useful for looking up easy plants or plants that require low light (not all are easily available though so you might have to search a few forums or LFS's)

Some of the easiest plants are the cryptocornes and anubias and mosses ... little light needed and slow growing so not as much tank maintenance..... if you want to go with faster growing stem plants a good light is really needed as well as a really good substrate and fertilisers (and CO2 if you want to go the whole hog)

I have read up, and the ones I bought were aquatic. I made sure because the internet warned me =] The fish store I bought some from was one of the better ones in Adelaide, but unless you talk to the owner, no one knows a what they are talking about and will say anything to try and sell you stuff. I did try to get the ones that would do well lower lights. And I put them in cold water too, in the separate small tank to see if they grew better, but they got worse, I even put it outside in full light for days. The tank does get a light on an angle but I planted them all at the back so they would get the most sunlight. My pennywort and 2 others only started to die when the catfish got to them. And the plant's you listed, sadly none of the stores I've been to, and I've been to a few, have them in stock. I really wanted Java Moss + Ferns and one place told me they might be able to get it in but it would cost me $30 (I'm assuming that's what you meant by high prices). It seems like a rather popular thing to have, so I don't understand why they don't stock it??? Mostly my problem was that their health just fluctuates without any dramatic or noticeable changes within the aquarium.

Is there a liquid fertilizer that anyone has found to be better than others?

I have checked the temp too, the heater does it's job and turns off when the water gets warm, and on again when it's cold, so that's in working order. I keep mine at 26C, is that maybe a little too low?

What do you mean by "sunlight to small tanks"?

Thank you for the plant finder! I've been trying to find a page with a nice detailed list, but most site lists are very limited. Though I doubt I'll find the plants, Adelaide seems to be behind in everything and stocks very little. But thanks =] Maybe I'll get lucky with a store?

:) selling you plants that will last a long time isn't good sale sense.... its better for a shop if you come back every two weeks to spend $10 on plants rather than spend $30 on a plant that will last you years!

bolbitis fern is very very nice and often comes growing on a piece of driftwood - around $25 - $30 for a small one but they don't need a lot of light, look great, and will grow for years (unless you let plant eating fish near it and then it will be shredded)

anubias often come growing on driftwood or rocks - they again last for a long long time and are happy in low light - they have many varieties and are rarely eaten by fish (apparently they have a bitter taste)

Most low light plants are slow growers so don't need huge amounts of liquid fertiliser - the seachem range has fertilisers for everything - but try Aquagreen's Dino Pee (they also have a lot of mail order plants and very generous with their portions). There are a couple of other good Australian online aquatic plant shops - search for "aquatic plants" in google and you'll find Aquatic Dreams and a couple of others.

26oC is not a bad temp ... depends on your plants though - a bit warm for some and nice for others - need a balance of what the fish and the plants will like.

Sunlight on small tanks can over heat them easily as there's not much water volume to keep temps stable. Also sunlight is great for developing algae and green water.

Ok thanks, I like the look of Anubias so I'll try and find that as well as the Java Moss I really want.

My current tank is just over 100L... so I don't think that's too small.

Though I would love to have a massive 6foot one, that would be amazing =D

You should use a trace element fertilizer and co2. Trace element should be used once or twice a week and co2 everyday. No airstone on during the day. Seachem does both of these in a bottle and I have a very heavily planted community tank that I now throw weed out. Works for me.

Not sure about sunlight. Bad idea.