Apparently betta breeders are all inhumane monsters...

Chuckie

Know this is a bit late but am new to the forum and have just seen this thread. I just visited SFCA site and had a bit of a tour around and their comments on over-breeding stood out. Apparently over-breeding can not only damage the health of the fish but the buyer as well. If this is true maybe our Betta breeders can try for a strain that is particularly attractive to the uneducated holier-than-thouists found amongst members of this particular group? Just a thought... Jo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey jo, not sure I understand what you're suggesting. Is it that if the rest of us make especially beautiful betta, then the people from SFCA will all then ignore their own ideals to get their hands on some of them - whether bred in jars or overbred in line breeding programmes?

I think most of us on this forum are just peeved at the fact that this group has dammed us all for pursuing a hobby that we all love. Where we all strive to provide our fish with the best possible conditions. And, the fact that they have also dammed the use of barracks/drip systems as inhumane, but in reality it's a very useful/feasible option.

They had an event today.

"What a big day for SFCA, our first public event was a great success and we feel we really made an impact on the people who visited our stall. Many people commented on how they have actually seen fish in small tanks/cups and we concerned about their welfare and were happy to know there are people like us making a difference to the lives of fish. Everyone got the chance to add their biological signature to our giant fish “Manny” in support of humane fish care plus adding their signature to our petition. The day was packed with fun events and it was good to be surrounded by such compassionate and understanding people. Vice President Aaron did a great job explaining to people what we are all about and what we do for fish so a big thank-you to him and all others who made it such a memorable day. All up it was a great day for SFCA, you and the fish. Also SFCA would like to thank the Association for Health Communities for hosting the event. We hope to have more stalls next year around Brisbane so if you would like to get involved please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to seeing you at our next event.

Click here for some pictures of the day"

They were evening taking figerprinting tests.. whatever could they need figerprints for?? :blink:

Let's not turn this thread into an all-out slag fest, guys! I just wanted to bring to people's attention that the practices of betta breeders were regarded as cruel by some, which I found unrealistic and naive, and was interested in your views.

While I do find it extremely curious that anyone would volunteer their fingerprints to anybody, again, unrealistic and naive seem to be the trends here.

I actually endorse most of the following statement (allowing for grammatical issues which I cannot endorse ;) ) :

We hope that they can make a legal guidelines for the housing of Betta in petshops and private enterprises which in return will re-educate the public on the proper housing of these fish thus ending this cruel practice of keeping betta in small cups, bottles, Bowls and Aquariums

None of us want to see bettas living in tiny cups and cubes! This is a view repeatedly posted here (those threads are a potential defamation action waiting to happen when people ask/work out which shop is being referred to!). However, temporary accommodation of juvenile bettas - pending sale into ownership where proper husbandry practices are used - has to be realistic. Some people have the experience to recognise that. Others don't, but apparently have no feasible alternatives to offer.

Just imagine though - you walk into a LFS, where are the bettas you ask? Dirrected over there.. you turn back as there are no cups... then, after you go to look anyway, you see each and every betta has their own tank!!!!

Wouldn't that just be delightful?

Most on this forum can see the silliness of this group.....but be warned....it is a sign of the future

Noisy minorities....will be the ones heard

If it's ok to mince 20+ fish of each species/each shipment for batch testing.....then the ones that get to be kept in a cup are the Lucky ones

noisy minorities are the reason for a lot of problems in today's community....

I agree with outlawing the ridiculous but a properly maintained betta barracks is a 'betta' alternative to their suggested culling of all fish that can't be housed the way they would suggest....

If they worked on getting some credibility they might actually get to make a difference in a positive way....

But if theyre not to be housed "in small cups, bottles, Bowls and Aquariums"... what are they to be housed in? Lol, ohhh well.

Each to their own I suppose. I dont agree with them, but thats no reason to go mental :P

If they can rant half as well about batch testing as they can about drip systems and betta breeders, then we wouldnt need to worry about anything :P

According to the loonies.... all Bettas should be housed in no less than an 8 litre container (vaguely remember that from an email from them I think or could be something else I read of theirs)....

This is of course based on their 'expert' opinion ..... they also mentioned if you have a spawn too large to accommodate this type of arrangement that excess fish could be culled or given to their 'carers'.... but were unable to advise as to the experience and training the carers had in raising a Betta spawn with one fish per 8 litre container....

:)

Holly crap. Eight litres per fish!! There goes the two ltr coke bottle idea.

Don't really want the wrath of the Betta police on my door. I really wanted to be an approved breeder. :-(

Must search all garage sales from now on, sell car and re mortgage house.

What a crock. :-)

I think I want to be an approved breeder too... I've set up an 80litre growout tank and I've put only one fry in it. Now I'm off to kill the rest coz I don't have other tanks. After all that's what's recommended by the SFCA.

Right, into the freezer for you, next one.... You're getting splatted, next one... You're getting noxious amouts of clove oil.... Mwahahahaha.... I'll be approved soon.... Now to figure out 60more ways to quickly or painlessly destroy baby bettas! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Actually it is 5L. But 8L will be even better for their welfare.

I was intrested to know why they don't like barracks/drip systems, so I e-mailed them.

They said.. and I quote -

We have been targeted unfairly in the past by speculation rather then the actual facts. We do not approve tanks under 5 litres. Therefore if a barrack or drip system has tanks under 5 litres we cannot accept that as appropriate. Its funny that many people who advocate for fish to be housed in larger tanks go home to thier cup drip system. Its obvious why we dont accpet tanks or housing of anykind under 5 litres.

I even suggested for them to put up photos of their founder's fish and how they are housed. They said it was a good idea for SFCA future! Yay, I'm a future planner! :cheer:

Edit: I need to edit just as badly as SFCA. Neither of us make sense. At least I do now.

Edited by Sarah

Mwahaha...huh?? Who me? :o

And for anyone still concerned, the fry are well and not (and will not be) splattered or frozen or poisoned!

*little evil voice in back of head says... "that's right... you can find much more sinister ways of torturing those dainty little fishies!" mwahaha*

Edited by paul