Sophie's Intro

Sophie

My Names Sophie, I just purchased a 2nd hand Orca RA05 80L Tank, Which seems to be in great condition. In it, I plan to keep a breeding pair of Bristlenose Catfish, A colony of around 10 Cherry Shrimp and a shoal of 8 or 10 Lemon Tetras. I'll also include some driftwood and a bunch of Java Fern. I figure these guys should get along well, and the Java Fern should give the Cherry Shrimp some protection. What do you guys recon? Its the first time of setting up a tropical tank for me, i previously owned an axolotl in a 60L tank, he now lives with a friend. Some advice would go down a treat.

Welcome to AusAqua Sophie...

Your tank plans sound good but the lemon tetras might have a munch on any baby cherry shrimps .... if you have a big clump of java moss it should shield some of the baby shrimp though and give them a chance to get to adulthood... java fern won't give too much protection at all unless it is a really dense clump.... the bristlenoses won't worry anything at all but give the male a cave to take ownership of and driftwood will be good for them too.

All the best and don't forget to take some pics of your tank for us :)

Wow, Thanks guys, I'll be sure to get some java moss then. I was plannig on having a large amount of driftwood with Java Fern growing off it, would the fern & moss do well in the same tank? I asume Java Moss grows on the driftwood to... :blink: i think? So do i need to tie it to the wood at first or what? I'll make sure my shrimp have their own little sanctuary! Thanks for the warm welcome.

:D

LOL.... wasn't sure if the lemons would attack adults Razzi.... nibble here nibble there!!!

Re java moss - yes it needs to be tied to the driftwood or rocks but after a while it will take hold and hang on....I was thinking more like a big ball of it for the shrimp to hide in but fish have a way of burrowing through moss if they want to get at food!

Hmm.. Well they will all be well fed so with a bit of luck the Tetra's wont hastle the shrimp to much, a friend of mine had some crystal shrimp or glass shrimp or something that sounds see-through lol and she also has Lemon Tera's but they didnt seem to eat the shrimp. Maybe if i have enough of them, they will still survive anyway.