Hi from the top end

sunrose217

Good morning

My name is Anne I am married with children and we run a mechanical business. We live out of town on acres that I love to garden and landscape as well as looking after our children and the fish,chickens,dogs and cats.

My father's hobby was very much into keeping tropical fish and we had a few ponds and aquariums and went to great lengths to keep his fish happy. As a teenager I remember doing aquariums on the spot -he would say,"That fish is ready to drop her babies at any time we must hurry to build an aquarium,..,". So we would build a two foot aquarium just for this platy. We dug ponds by hand-one pond -the largest was 800mm deep, about 30 feet long and fifteen feet across,.. We had thousands of fish mostly platties,swortails,mollies and guppies-and Koi (in a separate pond).

My parents sold the place and moved shortly after my father was struck with lung cancer and passed away.

Myself I take a lot after him but my children also take up most of my time including our business where I am just a one man band there behind the desk.

One of our daughters one day kept nagging us for a long time to get her a Betta Splendens male and we purchased a two foot aquarium for her fish and did it up with Vallisneria and fine gravel. Not knowing too much about this breed I bought a lot of books and also bought a few Betta Splendens females and put them in a separate tank next to the male tank. This was two years ago,..while my daughter now tells me ,"Mum all you ever talk about is fish," I realise I have caught the bug and have purchased a few tanks since we started. I am learning as much as I can and want to keep the fish as happy as I can. We also have a separate tank -400l tank with Blue Acaras. They really talk these fish I am very fond of them all. Its good to find other people who love fish as up here in Darwin there are not many people into fish-keeping I am told. Hello to everyone from Darwin.

Good morning

My name is Anne I am married with children and we run a mechanical business. We live out of town on acres that I love to garden and landscape as well as looking after our children and the fish,chickens,dogs and cats.

My father's hobby was very much into keeping tropical fish and we had a few ponds and aquariums and went to great lengths to keep his fish happy. As a teenager I remember doing aquariums on the spot -he would say,"That fish is ready to drop her babies at any time we must hurry to build an aquarium,..,". So we would build a two foot aquarium just for this platy. We dug ponds by hand-one pond -the largest was 800mm deep, about 30 feet long and fifteen feet across,.. We had thousands of fish mostly platties,swortails,mollies and guppies-and Koi (in a separate pond).

My parents sold the place and moved shortly after my father was struck with lung cancer and passed away.

Myself I take a lot after him but my children also take up most of my time including our business where I am just a one man band there behind the desk.

One of our daughters one day kept nagging us for a long time to get her a Betta Splendens male and we purchased a two foot aquarium for her fish and did it up with Vallisneria and fine gravel. Not knowing too much about this breed I bought a lot of books and also bought a few Betta Splendens females and put them in a separate tank next to the male tank. This was two years ago,..while my daughter now tells me ,"Mum all you ever talk about is fish," I realise I have caught the bug and have purchased a few tanks since we started. I am learning as much as I can and want to keep the fish as happy as I can. We also have a separate tank -400l tank with Blue Acaras. They really talk these fish I am very fond of them all. Its good to find other people who love fish as up here in Darwin there are not many people into fish-keeping I am told. Hello to everyone from Darwin.

Welcome Anne

I hope you enjoy your association with Ausaqua. I hadn't been visiting the site because I couldnt seem to post an introduction but I seem to be able to reply so I'll introduce myself. My name is Des & I live on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane. I started with a couple of betta girls & ended up with 30 & seven males so be VERY carefull or tanks could take over your house. Best of luck

gday Anne

Glad to hear there are others up here into fish. Sometimes I'm jealous of the "southerners" who can pop round the corner visit each other to buy/swap and sell their fish and equipment without the high costs of postage.

I have seven tanks, including two six footers, however, on the weekend the boss said that i have to downsize, so maybe i can convince her into just keeping the two larger tanks.

I'm fairly new to the site, but its been an invaluable source of info. welcome

mitch

Good afternoon and thank you to everyone. I am very happy to have joined;- it is a wonderful thing for new fish keepers who want to better their fish-keeping knowledge. I have never really been in a forum before so I feel a little shy. I hope also later when more experienced to help out if I can. I hope you all have a great day.

Hi Mitch

Sorry for the late reply but I have a hectic life. I agree with you they have it good down that way,...I have just been able to hatch some baby brine shrimp and I have ordered a new batch from another source but have to wait for it to turn up. I bought a couple of cichlids today, they tell me new stock-best day of the week is saturday morning but the shops are bare-feels like a waste of time,..well leave you to it,have a lovely weekend,

Anne