Forum junkie reporting for duty!

fishfin

Hi everyone!

As the topic says, I'm a forum junkie. I have only just discovered how special Betta's are after attempting to own something other than goldfish that we couldn't keep alive! I must be honest and say that I didn't do my homework when I bought my son a fish tank and goldfish. I 'thought' I was doing the right thing with their care but have since discovered that their short lives were my fault. :((

Well, I have certainly done my research now and decided to give fish keeping another go. In my research I discovered the wonderful world of Betta's and instantly knew that this was the direction I needed to go.

I feel like a chemist now after researching ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, PH etc. I am building up my 'chemical lab' each week. They have their own dedicated cupboard! Testing kits galore.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. I now own 'Fin' a blue veil tail. He shares his 20 litre, heated, filtered tank with some live plants and 'Pip', a gold leaf Mollie. They live in harmony, although Fin is the boss....naturally.

I'm going to take a good look around the site now. I have lots of reading to do here!

Hi there fishfin. Welcome to AAQ. Lilli, the forum administrator will approve your account soon which will give you access to the rest of the forum. In the meantime enjoy reading the forum and if you have any truly burning questions which can't wait, feel free to ask them here.

Hi Fishfin,

Welcome & congrats on your joining the clan of betta addicts. I've replied to an email from Ausaqua I received about your posting so I hope you end up getting it & have a lot more success than I'm having at the moment.

Best of luck Des

Hi Fishfin,

Welcome & congrats on your joining the clan of betta addicts. I've replied to an email from Ausaqua I received about your posting so I hope you end up getting it & have a lot more success than I'm having at the moment.

Best of luck Des

Hi Des, that doesn't work. The email's just a notification to you that a new topic has been posted. Only AusAqua admin gets your reply.

For the benefit of Fishfin, here is what your email (to me ;) ) said:

Hi Fishfin

Great to hear from you. I was bitten by the bug with Bettas & ended up with a few guppies with 1 lot I bought. I had 2 males & 1 female who was pestered beyond belief. Unfortunately the males swam into the section of tank with my male bettas & 1 was eaten. On the 27th June the female gave birth to I'd say about 3 dozen babies but she'd eaten a few before we got her out.

I'm Having trouble with my female bettas (I had about 30) who lived peacefully enough in a 3 foot tank with some neon tetras to swim in the middle & a few bristle noses to keep the algae down. Unfortunately I ended up with White Spot & treated that then they started dying 1 by 1. The Melafix got a real work out for a while then I went on to Multi Cure & Promethyasul. That seemed to do the trick then it started again. After speaking to the pet shop fellow who seems to know about these things & taking a couple of the sick ones up to him I was given Tetracycline, Hydrochloride (Aquari-cycline tablets) & Formaldehyde (White Spot Cure) to combat the very aggressive bacterial infection. I now have about 18 left.

My husband has decided he wants to breed them & has 7 males. We've put every one of the males in with a female at different times after having set up a special breeding tank & the boys all run away & hide in the weed & leave the girls to wonder. After researching on the net we were expecting fights & aggression. 1 of the males had most of his tank with bubbles on it so we put him in the breeding tank with one of the females but he did the same thing he'd done before. We took him out & put him in his own tank again & we've got another bubble nest so this morning I've put her in with him. They haven't got much room but at least he can't get away from her. We now keep our fingers crossed.

All the best with your fish Des

Hi there,

I am relatively new to bettas and feel it is important to warn you about this type of fish ...

... they are very Very VERY addictive

I started with two one day at a market, a few months ago and now have 12 boys, 7 girls and a few more heading in from Thailand. My kids are refusing to help me carry any more tanks down into the house and keep hiding my laptop for fear I'll buy another (haha they can't get at my work computer).

Cheers,

Bec ;)

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

I believe you all when you talk about these fish being 'addicitive'. You see, I actually have another addition of the animal kind. Miniature horses! I only have 2 of them, but they are my world. When I take something on, I don't do it by halfs and I can see these little fish taking up a good part of my already busy life!

I'm already looking into getting a larger aquarium - I have spotted a 2nd hand one on Ebay that I'd like. Too bad it doesn't have a stand though.

I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of questions as I'll be looking for your help in setting up a new tank.

Leonie

You too with the miniature horses Bec? I just LOVE my little horses. They are my best friends. I live on a once acre property with direct access to 17 acres behind me so my little horses have lots of room...and lots of food! :blink:

I love the idea that when it is too wet or too dark or too cold to play with my horses, I can now play fish keeping inside. It's great! :D

Leonie

Green with jealousy :drool:

Bec

I used to have full sized riding horses when I was young and brave. The little ones are more my pace these days! I actually have my smallest guy, all 30 inches of him, trained to pull a cart. We have a blast and it isn't too far to fall. B)

I would love a miniature!! I just have big lugs. Belle the war horse (she thinks she can breathe fire!) is 16.3. But I love them all :wub:

Sorry - I got way off topic. I for some reason thought this was the 'show us your pets' thread!! That was so rude of me!!!

After all that, I should say WELCOME!!