Diy Divided Tank

kchadwick

Here is a few pics of my new divided tank. It's a EliteStyle 60, I've just used 2 small internal filters (kmart cheapies), with only the 4 fish in a 60L tank I'm hoping these will be ok for a while. The plants are mainly just clippings from my other tanks. Hope you like:

P1010219.jpg

P1010223.jpg

P1010232.jpg

Looks good Chaddy! I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions, I'm trying to divide some tanks myself. I bought one of those little filters from kmart, but thought the current was too strong, how did you go with it? Is there a way to soften it a little? And that plastic canvas, can the fish see through it enough to flare, or do you need to show them a mirror for exercise? I'm thinking of using this one black canvas Do you think it would be suitable as well?

So wish I had enough plants and tanks to just throw a 'few clippings' together like that! Like the background too, much nicer than brilliant blue and green.

TIA!

I think this mesh was labelled as clear. They can see the shadow of each other and do sometimes flare, not too often though, not sure how the black would go though?

Re the filters, I would have liked to attach the spray bar but the compartments aren't wide enough, I've got the output directed down which seems to be ok.

A tip with the silcone: I put tape down on the glass and put the silicone on to the glass. I then pushed the poster holder into the silicone and smoothed with finger on each side. I found this the easiest and looks fairly neat

I'm sure someone here lives near you who could donate some clippings.... hint hint

post some pics when you're finished

• 2 weeks later...

They'd be removable. I am currrently dividing my tanks like Chaddy is. Though, I haven't added the dividers to the top or bottom to keep them straight as cleared the newsagency out of poster hangers! :lol: When I find some more I will add the to the top and bottom for more strength.

The tank looks fabulous and done really well!!!

Is that a naughty Oriental :giggle: I see in the background?

Chaddy, that looks splendid. I notice that your dividers are the perfect fit for that tank... What are the dimensions of the tank? Were you just very lucky with the size of the sheets of divider material, or did you find larger sheets that you cut to size? I have only been able to find quite small sheets of that plastic mesh - 26.5cm wide, which is a frustrating 2cm too narrow for the inside of a standard 30cm tank (or too short/low if cut and turned the other way). Where did you get your divider mesh from?

Thanks,

Finley

• 2 weeks later...

I used the same sheets but with the added width of the poster holders they just fit - this is why i added the holders to bottom and top to add strength and prevent excess bowing which might lead to the mesh flicking out. They seem to be holding quite well

• 2 years later...

What was used to divide the tank? :) and how would you do it? I am still tossing up in the air ( not litterally heehe) which tank i want to get and im considering a 45L one, and would like to know how to split it in half with a divider? :) so that it will heat evenly and filter properly with internal filters :)

Archived