New divided tank

kchadwick

Hello all

I'm new here (sort of - I've been reading here for a few months now but never posted before) :lookaround: I must say you have all been very helpful so far!

So I am setting up a new tank for 2 of my males and wanted to run the set up by you all. I have a ~13L glass tank which I plan to divide in two (using mesh as described in a previous post). I have bought an Aquaworld internal filter on internet (150L/h) and have a 25W heater already. I have gravel substrate and plan on adding live plants in 'pots' (I use glass candle holders and shot glasses with different colour gravel) and some driftwood.

I haven't had a filtered tank before (my other boys live in 2-4L tanks and get frequent water changes) and am a little unsure on tank maintenance and filter maintenance. Will I need to clean the gravel regularly? and how often/much should I change water.

What it be advantageous to put a 'sucker' fish with each?

Cheers all :yes:

the 6.5L will be enough for 1 fish, not 2 if you follow the rule of thumb of 1inch of fish per gallon (approx 3.8 L), so personally i wouldn't put a sucker type fish in. Maybe a small type of snail, if you are after excess food and debris clean up.

Hi Chaddy and welcome!

I personally like to keep my boys in about 10L of water just cause it gives them plenty of room to move and doesnt require so much to maintain. the main thing to worry about filtering a boys tank is how much current the filter causes as the long fin boys can get quite distressed (not that i blame them with such beautiful tails). so if your happy that the filter isnt going to stress your fish out you are good to go. I have my mesh dividers set up so i can remove the relevant number of fish and dividers to use a water siphon to clean the tanks gravel once a week/ 10 days removing about 10L (my tank is 30L with 3 boys). so you can probably change about 5-8L once a week and rinse your filter media in old tank water once a month.

I dont think it would be a good idea adding any other fish to this tank as it is quite small and fish such as Chinese algae eaters grow large and have a reputation of attacking slow moving fish.

Hope that helps you

Tig

Thanks guys

I have both boys in the new tank on my desk and they look very happy :thumbs:

I managed to find some perspex at work so I cut that to size and drilled some holes in it, much nicer than mesh!

Still waiting on filter though, in the mail, hope it comes this week

Will post a pic soon

:photo:

Hi there. I would suggest to cover the divider, so both fish wont be exposed to one another at all times (maybe a piece of plastic book binding over the mesh).

only exposed them when you want to see them flare. reason being betta get tired of flaring.

here's one a lil pict of my mini betta barrack, i used it for juvenile males & torn fin recovery, water is brown due to banana leaf extract.

img_2801398.jpgimg_2804478.jpg

99% of the time dividers are on covering between barracks.

Here are some piccies!!

Not quite finished I still need to cut a wedge out of the divider for the spray bar so the lid sits flat.

I haven't covered the divider but does anyone know of a safe glass paint to create a frost affect? I have another 3 part tank with fixed glass inserts and whoever goes in the middle always gets sad :)

P1010017.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010024.jpg

:P water level lowered. I should have known better. I never believed the jumping thing until my red boy jumped out of his cup when I was cleaning his tank one day. I got the shock of my life when I found him jumping along my kitchen bench!! :scared: he was ok though

One boy never bothered (he had a neighbor in his last home) The other boy is a little more feisty, but the novelty seems to be wearing off

thanks for the comments :goodo:

I know my comment is unrelated, and I'm sorry about that, but this is the only thread that has had some recent activity in it.

Are any of you fine people breeding any HMs?

If so, I would really appreciate a PM letting me know which colours etc.

Thanks!

Sorry again for the :eadshake:

Archived