Sydney Meet Up And Aquarium Tour

Phil

Hi all Sydney Siders! It was decided to call of the sydney meet this weekend, basically because we thought that 5 days notice was just a tad short. So, after a quick think, how do people feel about Saturday the 14th of October? Basically is is 1 YEAR! after our last get together and it would be great to see some of the old faces plus meet some of the new ones ;):unsure: We were thinking that insead of our Mid way trip from the City like usual, we could start out west and work our way in and finish at one that Jo hasnt seen such as St George - that one is deffenetly worth a look - ive picked up OHM's there for $7.95!! Please post if you are interested in coming along, everyone is welcome. I hope this is enough notice, BUT, it has been a YEAR since our last one!! :no::):) Cheers Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely more members than this can make it! Come on Sydney-siders, this is not very inspiring! I know that a couple of people can't make it, due to timing issues, but surely not everyone is tied up that day! Also, suggestions as to route/stops etc are welcome. If we are going to end up at St George then starting at Winsdor is possibly not the best idea. If we are doing north west then we should probably do north west, St George is SOUTH and so basically at the opposite end of the metropolitan area! We should probably stick to north west and do south another time, or vice versa. So, what shops are in the north west that are worth seeing? Or should we re-think the route and go for shops around St George instead? I know there is a Strictly on Heathcote Rd at Engadine, a strictly on King Georges' Road at Beverly Hills, and a couple of other aquariums in the Shire (I can ask my friend from Kirrawee where else we could go if we were to do Sutherland/South). OR we could stick with Abbey's suggested list: Wet & Dry, Windsor Koi Hatchery, Kellyville, and then time permitting, Wentworthville, Parramatta, & Auburn. I have never been to most of them, and can drop my daughter off at the horses beforehand if we start out there, so am happy with that. Phil, aren't there more LFS's out penrith way that we checked out that day? The big one on the homemaker shopping centre, the little one that had a padlock on the door? Would they be out of the way or close enough to Wet & Dry to justify the detour? Also, there is a Pet Barn near there, is it still worth checking out or have they gone all up-scale on us? Anyone got a LFS list for other regions we could check out on other days? Eg South West (Auburn, Pet Care 2000 on Rookwood Rd Yagoona, Strictly at Yagoona, the LFS on Waldron Rd at Georges Hall/Bass Hill, Atlantis at Lansvale, Marine Life at Moorebank - how about Riverside? How far from Strictly at Yagoona is that?) North shore (hi-Tek at Pymble? Anywhere else?) eastern suburbs (eg SLS - anywhere else east worth seeing?) Important question - with whatever route we choose, will people need an e-tag or to pay tolls? Lastly, if you are getting a lift with someone else kind enough to do the driving, offering to contribute to the cost of petrol is something to consider...

Well the only request that has been made so far is that Jo wants to see ST George - i think that is one we really shouldnt miss because it is just so good!! I think Penrith is basically useless for the petshops, there are 3 or 4, i would say that Wet n Dry is worth seeing on the Grt Western Hwy, the only one that is really different and worth seeing is The Fish Hatchery in Windsor. If we started at the fish hatchery, it would take about 20mins to get from there to WetnDry and then i guess i am lost after that LOL

so how do people feel about doing South instead, and leave Penrith/windsor for another day? If we go to St George FIRST we won't run out of time! Then we can track back from there to the Sutherland LFS's and maybe if we have time up Heathcote Rd to the one on Heathcote Rd at Moorebank, and Atlantis at Lansvale. Heathcote Rd is a scenic drive, if nothing else, and it will have those members who have shown an interest in turing up so far finishing up closer to home than if we started west and headed South.

They breed koi there. They have 2 massive display ponds which are great, then a heap of other ponds with koi for sale, a heap of aquatic/marginal plants, and then inside is a big tropical and coldwater shop, they have heaps of tanks!

i was in the neighbourhood on monday and went to check out Xtreme, i was so disappointed.......................it was closed :), theres a website www.xtremeaquariums.com.au, it's next to a beaurepairs (if you are looking at beaurepairs head on, xtreme is on the left, its also set pretty far back and you cant really see it from the street) i'm not sure which way your coming from but there is another aquarium not far from it either, Majestic aquarium (again if you are looking in the direction of xtreme its on the left in a complex thing about 100metres away, its in the same complex as a wokout place and a child minding thing) HTH and Have Fun!! Oh..and Atlantis hasnt really impressed me of late, the last times i went there wasn't much stock, although i did go on a thursday?

We can't run around half the city, it means we won't do justice to the ones we do go to and we'll all chew through a tank of petrol in the process. Auburn is nowhere near St George (625 Princes Highway Rockdale), and since St George is the must-see I think we ought to start there, on the Princes Hwy. I am told that Majestic (7/126 Taren Point Rd) is about 15 minutes south, and is well worth seeing. Xtreme isn't too far away (11/136 TAREN POINT RD, TAREN POINT) but I am told that it is on the small side and not worth making a special trip to, but if we're going past anyway we may as well. PetCare 200 is at 240 Taren Point Road, Caringbah . Probably worth checking out for equipment and supplies since we'll be going past anyway. Then there is a Strictly on Princes Highway at Engadine (1260 Princes Highway) and there is an excellent Maccas at Engadine where you can get bacon on your burgers, double burgers etc. How does that sound?

Any interest from passengers? Leaving Newcastle and can pick up along the highway for central coast etc. It is a great day and I promise I don't bite. Also If you are interested in wilds, free delivery and neg. on price if you collect on the meet. These are the 'easy wilds' and a great way to dip your toe in.

Archived