Office Improvements

PeterJ

I dunno about the rest of you, but I've never been fussed on a sterile work environment. I'm used to having a significant part of my work outdoors, but for the last few years I've been gradually sucked into programming, which, lets' face it, sucks big ones... So in a possibly futile atttempt to retain what vestiges of sanity I have left I have found ways to improve my office environment (a public service cubicle meeting minimum WH&S standards). I thought I'd share for anyone else who may be suffering a similar fate. Please excuse the image quality, it's hard to be furtive when the camera's plugged in to a wall socket and you're trying to make sure the flash doesn't go off. :giggle:

Posted Image

• Black worm culturing experiment. Destined for disposal, blackworms can be easily cultured but not in numbers worth worrying about considering the alternatives. Would probably work better with a bit of heat and filtration, but meh... :rant:
  • Spare duckweed - the applesnails have developed a taste for it.
  • Microworm towers (goes without saying). :rant:
  • Ageing/conditioned water.
  • Beverage receptacle (also emergency source of tannins).
  • Betta accomodation.
  • Grindal worm attractant.
Posted Image[8]More Betta accomodation.

[9]Backup Betta accomodation (currently unoccupied except for 1 hospital case).

[10]Backup water supply.

[11]Grindal worm accomodation (1 of 2 cultures undergoing refurbishment after I figured out how many worms is too many :().

[12]Discarded attempt at fruit fly culturing. The litle buggers just didn't want to stay put and I wasn't admitting to my coworkers where the plague in the tea room started... :flex:

Posted Image[13]A couple of days supply of mozzie wrigglers.

[14]The soon-to-be photo tank hopefully. Yet to have its maiden voyage.

[15]Spawn tank.

[16]Spawn/growout tank - current home to about a dozen DT & DT geno juvies, 4 applesnails, 4 freshwater mussels and lots of stuff I don't know the names of...

:)

when you mentioned the office peter well i thought the norm a tank or maybe two ... this is amazing its like a science lab...quite the green thumb too hey peter ??? you should try some small cuttings of cordiline fruiticosa..these are excellent in fish jars.. and look good too...

LOL! Makes work tanks look pretty puny in comparison. I have to show all the co-workers who laugh at me for having desktop tanks! It had however inspired me to fill the cube tank back up and re-stock it. I think the fish that disappeared in there has well and truly gone by noe, so it will be safe to re-stock. maybe I'll get some apistos...

Oh what a great plan to get the govt to pay for the heating and lighting bills! My office looks like that... well worse because I have 4 x 2ft tanks and a 4ft (will someone please fall in love with red cts!) and I had to recently rescue mw from a fermenting batch of porridge so it smelled bad as well... but my office is in my house!

haha - If I were you, I'd bring a couple of cups of mozzie wrigglers and place them behind the computer monitors of folk i didnt like :) slowly but surely you'll hear the soothing sounds of people you dislike going mad swatting mosquitos :D

• 8 months later...

OMG Peter this is truly sensational. I've got at least that much bench space in my cubicle at work. You've set my evil mind to work. Moving my whole setup to the office. Then I won't have to clean up the study at home. It's brilliant!! Well done!! :eadshake:

It's evolved a bit since then - the placcy milk bottles have been replaced with more glassware and my cultures are either tucked away under the desk or hidden in a cupboard (I'm not going to take ownership over the fruitfly outbreak we had a couple of months back...). I've expanded live food production to include mealies (ta Shrine), daphnia and red wrigglers.

Archived