Desert Goby Pic

namezmud

I finally got half an hour to take some fish pics with my new Canon A620 digital camera. The subject was my male desert gobies that are in breeding colours. Unfortunately I bought 4 fish and all four a male. Here is probably the best pic of one of them.

Posted Image

If anyone is interested the camera was on shutter priority, Tv 1/5 sec, Av 3.5, no flash. I probably should have slowed the shutter more to increase the apeture as the head is slightly out of focus.

If anyone knows where I can find some females please let me know.

Dean

OH! I did forget! Although I did call up and if you are still interested they can try to order in just females next tuesday. They said theyare around $5-8 each. Do you want me to take it further? I can always send them over to you, no probs :(

OH! I did forget!

Although I did call up and if you are still interested they can try to order in just females next tuesday. They said theyare around $5-8 each.

Do you want me to take it further? I can always send them over to you, no probs :goodo:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow Jess, thanks for chasing it up :scared: . I've got one more idea for finding some locally which I'll check out this weekend. Otherwise I might take you up on that :(( If I have to get a few males too I'm not fussed (particularly at that price). A few guys here are interested in them and the males look so cool anyway...

Thanks again,

Dean

• 3 weeks later...

You can call off the search parties, I have 3 males and 1 female :cheer: I'm sure she is female as I now also have a male fanning ~30 eggs :D:photo: The pair are in a 4x18x18 with entirely too many other fish so I have partitioned off 1/3 of the tank with his cave : a very low overhang of a large rock. I moved the rock because I was worried I had blocked off his cave so he now has to do a bit of a head stand to fan the eggs but he is still doing it. He charges the front of the tank when he sees a big ugly head at the glass :) and then goes back to fanning. Shining a torch under the rock I can see eyes in the eggs :photo::cheer: This is my happiest fish keeping moment in some time. I really hope I can raise the babies. Dean

• 2 weeks later...

After 8 or 9 days I was starting to worry they weren't going to hatch. They finally did :flex: . I have no idea how many I have as they are the best camoflaged fry I've ever seen. They were probably 6 or 7mm long on hatching and almost exact replicas of their parents. They are a mottled yellow/green colour like females and even sit on the ground like the parents. The only way I see them is if some are sitting on a rock and then move.

Here are some blurry pics to give you some idea.

Posted Image

spot the fry

Posted Image

here it is.

Dean

• 1 month later...

Archived