Name that prawn

Chuckie

Today I saw these little feeder shrimp for sale at my LFS. They were too cute for me to want to feed them to anything (plus I doubt the bettas would cope real well with something the same size they are!).

Anyway I'm not sure what they are. They look like the ones Abbey has/had in her tank with the sparkling gouramis.

Can anyone identify them?

Please excuse the pretty bad photos. These things seem to move more than bettas do!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Growing up on the Murray river (in Berri) it really is just bizarre to see them for sale in the shop! I have kept them many of times in my tanks as a kid and more recently, 4 years ago for my daughter. Just beware they shread fins :) I feel guilty at my perfect skill of grabbing them and shoving them on fish hooks in hope to catch me some callop! ;)

*reads Jess' post and looks at shrimp again*

Liiiiisa, *looks worried* they aren't Atyidae shrimp... I didn't spot the nippers...

Long arm shrimp. They might well be those Machrobrachium australiense that I'm forever trying to get down live from Brizzie.

Should be fine if you aren't keeping fish in there, but they may redecorate a tad, I dont know, they never live long enough for me to find out.

I'm not too worried, they are making no moves to attack the fish. The LFS told me they are scavengers. hopefully they are not nocturnal predators! I am really just leaving the current lot of fish to live their lives out and not replacing them, as this is the water treatment tank, so in due course there won't be any fish to worry about. Anyway if it ends up being a problem, I can re-house the fish, there are only 10-odd in there.

Archived