Planted tanks and fertilisers

I used the Flourish range on my planted tank, and it seemed to work just great. With the exception of the Excel, which I found too expensive (as it had to be dosed daily, not weekly like the others). With the trace element, iron and potassium Flourishes, rather than dosing in 1 big hit once a week I used to make up a litre or so of water with the weekly dose in it and add 1/7 per day til it was all used up. I never had an algae problem using Flourish. I also used The 7 Balls (I think they were by JBL??) and clay-based root supplements for crypts, anubias and aponogetons. What do other people with planted tanks use? Has anyone used the Azoo range, and if so what do you think of it? I was tempted a few times but I was happy with Flourish and I thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :o

Im using the Seachem Flourish and Flourish Iron. I also use Sera's florenam, and the both the root tablets for them. The root tablets for the pond plants. I use them for the lotus and lillies in my tank, while the aquarium version for other plants. The Seachem Flourish is added when I change the water, then every 2 days afterwards I add the Flourish Iron. Works well for me :o

I use Seachem's Flourish and Flourish Iron (dosed according to Java Fern colour, as i still have no test for it. Its a bit un-scientific) And Sera florenette root tabs for the crypts (when i had them) and anubias (in another tank) At the moment though, my scary tapwater is so high in nutrients that I am not dosing anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I havn't tried azoo but i've heard there good. recently read that you can make your own fert balls. just get 10 grains of osmocote fertilizer or similar and put them inside a 2cm ball of clay. Wonder what type of clay and where to get it but.

I know i shouldnt of done it, although it had no effect on the fish at all. When i was seriously growning my plants in the tank i got about a teaspoon of osmocote and poured boiling water on them that caused them do dump all of the contents into the water, let it settle, poured off the layer ontop and put the nutrient rich water into the tank, plants grew wonderfully! Osmocotes release rate is at 21*C so in a tank set at say 27*C, you could expect an 8-9 month osmocote product to fertilise your tank for atleast 5 months, although you would need quite a few of these clay balls!

That's interesting info phil :dance: I guess that having them in the clay ball would make them last a bit longer since they would be insulated a bit? Might have to give it a go if i can find suitable clay. Would it be better to place the fert tab/balls close to the plant roots so they can get the nutrients, or would it be better to place them abit away so that the roots grow (quicker?).

Its not neccecarily the actual salt in the osmocote that is harmful, just the concentration of nutrients that cause toxicitys in plants ie if there is too much there, obviously the salt/nutrient buildup would be dirimental. Although i can say if it would affect fish directly, mine werent affected. Liam i cannot see the clay insulating the osmocote prills, you would think that you would even get some bacterial action in the clay that may even heat it up!

Archived